Jamo CS5 Active Speakers - Any Good?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by daws0n, Jun 30, 2009.

1. daws0n

daws0n

Hi guys,

Bought a pair off eBay on a whim last night for my PC, can't find out much about them except the rrp/year (£200 / 1998) and that they're fully active and bi-amped. They look decent enough so I figured at £39 they're worth a shot. Has anyone heard a pair?

Cheers,
    Dawson

daws0n, Jun 30, 2009
  2. daws0n

BarryG

Congrats Dawson on a good find. I bought a pair back in 1999 and have since acquired two used pairs. They're excellent speakers. There's one minor design defect that has affected every pair I own: the level control becomes quite intermittent in its action and it's best to find a setting that works, leave it there, and control the level of the source.

The speakers were available in either black or a strange off-white/light green color.

BarryG, Jul 15, 2009
  3. daws0n

daws0n

Hi Barry,

I got them through the post ok and have to agree - great speakers for the price. The volume on mine is the same aswell, at 9 o'clock it's loud so I have been controlling it on my PC source instead. At full output these speakers become deafening at anything past 10'clock on the dial, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd blow out at any louder! Must be a design fault?

Unfortunately they're a little *too* good for my small office and kick out a heck of a full rich sound... A bit too overpowering for nearfield listening. Luckily, I have since a found a set of smaller active Videologic Sirocco 2.1 speakers which I bought for £60. Similar clarity to the jamos and the sub adds a very nice bottom end.

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/audio-output/videologic-sirocco/431769/

A friend of mine has offered to pay £50 for the jamos, but they seem hard to find... I am tempted to keep them anyway, never know when they'll come in handy ;)

Dawson

daws0n, Jul 27, 2009
Ask a Question