Jaw dropping enhancements in sound quality

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by kmac, Oct 14, 2007.

1. kmac

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

No one here has ever said they had a system which makes half their discs unplayable.

Uncle Ants, Oct 19, 2007
  2. kmac

cooky1257

No one said anything remotely close.
    Done a quick calc and it's actually in my case below 1%-still 25-30 cd's tho' and not strictly 'unplayable' just I'd rather stick pins in my eyes:)

cooky1257, Oct 19, 2007
  3. kmac

sideshowbob Trisha

You should read more carefully.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Oct 19, 2007
  4. kmac

cooky1257

...the implication being?

cooky1257, Oct 19, 2007
  5. kmac

sideshowbob Trisha

That good systems don't over-emphasise deficiencies in the source recordings. The "shit" thing is all in your own head.

The virus on ZG is that it's impossible to have a discussion about anything without some people pretending to be all offended when there's the slightest disagreement. Relax a bit, adults can disagree without all this sturm und drang.

-- Ian

6. kmac

Paul Ranson

That's not my assertion. Many recordings sound poor but are still of value and a good system makes them more so.

However it is obvious that a system that denies you access to music you want to listen to is indeed shit.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Oct 19, 2007
  7. kmac

i_should_coco Monkey

That's exactly what I was trying to say. If a "good" system is one that highlights the faults, then I don't really want it. I'd prefer an "inferior" system that lets me enjoy the music more, i.e. highlights the good bits, not the bad bits.

There seems to be a common perception that highlighting bad recordings is something that comes as your system gets "better" and is something you have ot live with. I disagree.

i_should_coco, Oct 19, 2007
  8. kmac

cooky1257

Look if as I am clearly stating over 98% of discs I own are fine and enjoyable then it can't be asserted that my system is over emphasising faulty recordings.By any stretch of the imagination it is reasonable to assume 1-2% of recorded music from acts that I 'm interested enough to buy in the first place are in fact below parr to such an extent that I personally am dissapointed with them sufficiently(I cited treasured Motown originals ruined) to be too intrusive and spoil my listening pleasure.1-2%!!!!!If I can hear it in those few cd's then I'm sorry but the fault is with the disc not 'my' system, nothing is being 'over' emphasised-some discs are crap, this is not too difficult a concept to deal with, some engineers are crap(I know some of these guys) and some mastering engineers are crap too-in that they'll master to a brief from the record company not the artist.
    People jump to the absurd conclusion that to say as much means 1. You can't be listening to 'music' only the system and 2. Your system must be 'over emphasising' recording faults.

cooky1257, Oct 19, 2007
  9. kmac

Stereo Mic

It seems a lot of people are jumping to "absurd conclusions" Cooky.

Stereo Mic, Oct 19, 2007
  10. kmac

cooky1257

cooky1257, Oct 19, 2007
  11. kmac

i_should_coco Monkey

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2007
    i_should_coco, Oct 19, 2007
  12. kmac

sideshowbob Trisha

Cooky, is your system stopping you playing some of your favourite music?

Drop the Mr Angry act, it's boring.

-- Ian

13. kmac

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Cooky, at this point I would give up. This is no longer about either music or systems. Its about some people on forums who will not be seen to be disagreed with and refuse to have anything but the last word. Walk away old boy.

Last night for the first time I discovered the use of the ignore feature and added a couple of people to it in order to see if certain individuals were ruining my enjoyment of this forum (I was worried that my computer was shit). Now it doesn't annoy me anywhere near as much. I might even grow to enjoy it again.

Tara.

Uncle Ants, Oct 19, 2007
  14. kmac

cooky1257

Tut, tut, calm down yerself, I'm not angry at all, you said the "shit "was all in my head, it wasn't, see above-I also included a smile. Besides, an angry person would have asumed to were calling them shithead.
    In answer to your question; No, my system doesn't.
    Does yours?

cooky1257, Oct 19, 2007
  15. kmac

sideshowbob Trisha

In that case it isn't shit. Do you see the problem here? Mike and Paul suggest, reasonably enough ISTM, that a system that makes favourite music unlistenable is shit, you get all annoyed and assume they're talking about you, even though your system doesn't make your favourite music unistenable, so clearly isn't shit, and your persistent attempts to be all offended are just silly.

This is ABC. As I say, just read a bit more carefully and it's possible to have a disagreement without the Mr Angry bit.

-- Ian

16. kmac

Stereo Mic

Excellent post if I may say so. If only everyone was as sensible.

Stereo Mic, Oct 19, 2007
  17. kmac

andyoz

Dunno about you guys but it's Friday and I'm rocking out to that "shit" Red Hot Chilli Peppers recording..."Californication".

There's some nice bass and guitar work in amongst that dodgy mix.

andyoz, Oct 19, 2007
  18. kmac

cooky1257

You ought to read a bit more carefully too; The general tennor of the dodgy discs camp is to do with the more modern mashed up over compressed digitally clipped variety of cd.Lily Allen anyone?
    Also read a bit more carefully and you'd see SM's take on the 'coloured' Tannoy tweeter and the recordings highlighting a fault in 'my' system ie I know my system doesn't make my discs unplayable but it doesn't stop other people saying it does/is/and must be the cause.
    Try my answer again , I'll explain; my 'system' doesn't stop me, poorly recorded/mastered discs however do. ABC as you say.
    You seem to be the one confusing dissagreement with anger.
    If I could find a handshake icon I'd use it.

cooky1257, Oct 19, 2007
  19. kmac

cooky1257

Always sounds good in the car-windows down sunny day:cool:

cooky1257, Oct 19, 2007
  20. kmac

sideshowbob Trisha

I have Tannoys too. Relax FFS, it's hi-fi, people are allowed to hold different opinions about it.

-- Ian

Ask a Question