Jazz recommendation, blimey

Discussion in 'General Music' started by The Devil, Sep 15, 2003.

1. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington:

The Great Summit - The Master Takes

I first heard this fantastic CD at Paul Duerden's place. Just managed to bag it yesterday and I'm delighted.

Louis Armstrong is my favourite jazzman, his music never fails to cheer me up. His voice, er, speaks for itself, and amazing horn/trumpet footling. Duke Ellington is a fair old pianist too.

Even the worst anti-jazz nazi would like this. Strongly recommended. Essential.

[For all you 'audiophiles' the recording is cracking too.]

The Devil, Sep 15, 2003
  2. The Devil

sideshowbob Trisha

Good call, fine record.

Armstrong's 1920s recordings (The Hot Fives and Hot Sevens) are some of the best music ever made, provided you're prepared to listen through the ancient recording technology.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 15, 2003
  3. The Devil

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

sometimes its the ancient recording technology that makes the record.

rob, Sep 16, 2003
  4. The Devil

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

ive just realised how stupid that sounds......

rob, Sep 16, 2003
  5. The Devil

Graham C

Not at all Rob, I know what you mean. Some recordings are a real window to the event - even if they sound like through a drainpipe.

Apart from the vintage recordings many bootlegs are too [hypothetically..or so I'm told...allegedly]

Graham C, Sep 16, 2003
  6. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Hi Ian,

I knew you'd know this one! My other jazz tastes include some Miles Davis, some John Coltrane, the sublime Astrud Gilberto (is that really jazz?) and the Getz/Gilberto collaborations, Nina Simone, and er that's about it.

There's also (some) Ronnie Jordan in there.

Any 'easy' recommendations? I can't bear self-indulgent noodling, however.

The Devil, Sep 16, 2003
  7. The Devil

sideshowbob Trisha

Try some Mingus, he swings like a b*stard. Blues and Roots and Mingus Oh Yeah are great places to start. Oh, then there's Count Basie (Atomic Basie), and Dizzy Gillespie from the 40s and 50s, Roland Kirk (We Free Kings, Rip Rig & Panic, The Inflated Tear), Charlie Parker, Earl Bostic (contd. p 94...)

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 16, 2003
  8. The Devil

robs

How about Art Blakey's Night(s) at Birdland - your feet WILL tap..

robs, Sep 16, 2003
  9. The Devil

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I found Miles a bit too passive. Of the three albums i've got, Sketches of spain is arse, kind of blue if very "ok" and easy. In a silent way is much better.

Mingus's "Oh Yeah" is much MOre like it! Some edgy dark bits, some big and full blown bits, and a fair pinch of huMOur in there too! Eat that chicken pie! :D

This David S.Ware Quartet albums a bit good too! :cool:

MO!, Sep 17, 2003
  10. The Devil

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

oscar peterson plus one (clark terry)

cant get over this album. its a true gem.

i usually download loads of stuff off soulseek www.slsknet.org and if i like it i buy it on vinyl.i have to say since ive started on slsk my music taste has widened dramatically and i seem to be buying more music than ever.
    if the riaa or the brit equivelant says its illegal then they can blow it outta their arses. thanks to slsk im buying around two albums a week. but then again im not fussed on the sound of mp3 anyways......

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2003
    rob, Sep 17, 2003
  11. The Devil

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Here Here!

As a research tool (combined with something like amazon and it's "may also like...." recomendations), it's probably the best way to discover new music. MOst of my purchases over the last year have been due to this and like you, i'm buying MOre music than ever.

MO!, Sep 17, 2003
  12. The Devil

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

http://www.allmusic.com/

this is a very good research tool. probably one of the best music information sites ive found. a lot of the albums ive downloaded have this link in the files taking you directly to the albums page, a nice touch i think.

pm me if you want my user name on slsk and you can have a browse.ive got quite a lot of jazz on there and most are 320 quality.

it all gets mooved around and delited quite a lot but let me know what your after and i will leave it out for you.

cheers,

Rob.

rob, Sep 18, 2003
  13. The Devil

robs

Picked up a couple of Oscar Peterson LPs at a car boot this morning (never heard of him before - somewhat new to 'jazz') -great stuff! Got a couple of Art Tatum & a few George Shearing too...looking forward to hearing them. Ta for the nod.

robs, Sep 20, 2003
Ask a Question