Jeff Roland power amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ya-Boo, May 16, 2004.

1. Ya-Boo

Ya-Boo

Any of our learned chaps, know or heard anything about the
    model 8 good bad or indiferent

Ya-Boo, May 16, 2004
  2. Ya-Boo

merlin

Kevan,

your problem seems to me to be that you are fixated by names. Not meant as an insult, but buyers of hofo names seen to be forever unhappy. The trick is to system match IMO. Find a pair of speakers you feel have potential in your room, then ask as to what works best with them.

Give you an idea. If the Merlins work in your room (I don't think they do), then the amps that work with them are Sim, Joule, Blue Circle, Atmasphere, CAT and Berning.

If the Alons work in your place, then look to decent 300b amps from Cary, Canary and Border Patrol.

Proacs look to Sugden and Audio Research.

The speaker/room interface is far more important so get that right and then find the perfect driving partner.

FWIW, Rowland amps are overpriced in sonic terms, beautifully built and capable of throwing enourmous soundstages when partnered with the right speakers, usually Avalons.

So to recap, get the best source you can afford, choose speakers to match your enviroment, then choose amps to drive them to their best.

merlin, May 16, 2004
  3. Ya-Boo

Ya-Boo

Not a fixation, just my inquisitive nature

I wondered about the sim /pathos option,with the merlins sim worked well

I still have the Alons and the sim did not fare as well with those

I will at some stage I,ll buy the Alons, but for the time being I reqire an amp too work with both..

I,ve never heard of Jeff Rowland untill yesterday when I heard a model 8.......nothing more than that,just a point open to comment/discussion.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2004
    Ya-Boo, May 16, 2004
  4. Ya-Boo

analoguekid Planet Rush

And what did you think of it. The most important thing is did you like it, at the end of the day it matters little wether we all aprove or not, from your post it could be misconstrued as you were looking for approval, we are all just a buch of overopinionated tone deaf hippies, so what do we know:D

Honestly what was it you liked or disliked about the JR's?

analoguekid, May 16, 2004
  5. Ya-Boo

Ya-Boo

well I must say it certainly gave the speakers a shot in the arm
    they needed, that amp had serious balls
    ;)

And No I wasn't there to buy it,Dunno how much they are either
    I'd guess Its way above my budget
    looked damm fine, this HUGE highly polished silver box in his rack
    though

As I said, I have never heard of Rowland and just wondered if any of you lot had heard this amp?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2004
    Ya-Boo, May 17, 2004
Ask a Question