JM LAB Speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Malky, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Malky

Malky

I have JM LAB Micro Utopia speakers the pre be . I have always been happy with them and now have an opportunity to upgrade to Alto Utopia second hand The system is vinyl based Michell Orbe SME V Ortofon Jubilee. Trichord Delphini phono stage. Cary SLP 98 L Pre Cary Aniversary 805 valve amps.Any comments on these speakers I have yet to go and audition them. I also thought my Micros would have been snapped up by now at £1500 were £4250 new with stands.At just under 4 yrs old. Am I missing something. Another alternative speaker I have been contemplating is the Living Voice OBX R2.But you wouldnt think they could compete with Altos £4k as to £11k but the Alto is a big speaker and I am wondering if this would be overkill for my modest 13 x14 ft. listening room. :MILD:
    Malc
    Hi Fi is an illness.

Malky, Aug 23, 2005
  2. Malky

technobear Ursine Audiophile

You're not missing anything except that the second hand hifi market is very slow at the moment. My Castle Conways still haven't been snapped up :(

It takes a lot more money and a lot more work to make a good floorstander than to make a good standmount. Many speaker manufacturers have ranges that use the same drive units but the increase in price gets you a bigger box. It doesn't necessarily always mean a better sound. These days I have decided I prefer the standmount with a sub to add in the really low stuff. Go to a decent dealer and listen. You may be surprised how good your standmounts are.

technobear, Aug 24, 2005
  3. Malky

Malky

Maybe you have a point Chris. I do like my Micro Utopias. They are very truthfull though as is the rest of my system now. But bad recordings may as well just go in the bin. It is easy to blame speakers when they are only doing what they are supposed to do, but I think people do this and finish up with speakers that hide things and then the sound suffers elswhere.I am also concerned about finishing up with an over blown bass which some people like, but to me it can throw the whole musical spectrum out of balance (bass dominant) Iwould rather have the detail I think. The micros go down to 50 hz and what bass there is is accurate.
    Malc

Malky, Aug 24, 2005
Ask a Question