Jobs in HIFI

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by andrew1810, Nov 5, 2003.

1. andrew1810

andrew1810

Hello everyone,

I am currently on my job hunt at the end of my 3rd year at uni.
    Amongst other things I am looking at the hifi industry, working in supply chain management.
    I was wondering if anyone had any names/addresses for who I can apply to.
    If you need any more information PM me

Cheers

Andrew

andrew1810, Nov 5, 2003
  2. andrew1810

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Having recently been in the same position (ie graduated in july) and now working in the hifi industry...

It isn't easy at the moment. Supply chain management is something that only larger hifi companies will need someone to do (ie a dedicated supply chain manager), and they're likely to want someone with experience.

My tack was pretty much to email all hifi companies I knew of, and ask them who to send my CV to. In the end, I didn't have any luck that way, and actually found my present job on a job website. However, I'm an engineer, not a manager (yet... wait 15 years).

The most likely way is to go to some of the larger companies, like sony, or hifi retailing, and get the experience there, and that should put you in a position to move into more dedicated hifi. If you can demonstrate a serious interest (ie by having your own serious setup) then you stand a better chance.

I-S, Nov 5, 2003
  3. andrew1810

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Richer Sounds are often advertising. It may be worth doing a bit there to blag as "experience" while you're looking elsewhere. I'd imagine they're got their own repairs/engineers :confused:

MO!, Nov 5, 2003
  4. andrew1810

michaelab desafinado

MO! - the thread title is jobs in HiFi :D

Seriously though, I'm not sure if I were interested in a job in the more serious end whether having worked for Richers would be a hinderance or an advantage.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 5, 2003
  5. andrew1810

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I would love to work in HIFI working on multimedia projects so I guess that will be the marketing side of it. I doubt I will get any where in it though as the big companies only take on the best graudates and the smaller companies will use external companies to that kind of thing.

amazingtrade, Nov 5, 2003
  6. andrew1810

MO! MOnkey`ead!

:p

Well you've got to start somewhere, and I think MOre and MOre graduates are finding that havig a degree doesn't mean you can walk straight in and expect top work. RS would be an easy foot in the door (perhaps try some other stores, but MOst independants will probably have been started up by the people who work their and thus not have many vacancies). It may not be the way you wish to go, but it's quite probable you'll have to wait it out for a while, so might aswell get something at least reMOtely related on your CV in the mean time.

Perhaps asking the college/uni if they have anything with their tech's?

I've a mate who's done a degree in Audio Technolgy, (studio work, on site, production, recording, etc...). He got top marks on his degree and has been making his own tunes for about 10 years or so too, so a decent portfolio. He's done quite a few odds and ends such as going to local studios, and even helping out with some church music recording! MOst of it for free or very little pay. All the time applying for the likes of Abbey Roads of course ;) He's starting to make positive MOves now and is doing something with the Parkinson show now! Oh, and he was a postman for a little while too :confused:

MO

MO!, Nov 5, 2003
  7. andrew1810

Chea Johndle Bizarre Serpent Foomaster

Chea Johndle, Nov 5, 2003
  8. andrew1810

andrew1810

Great thanks everyone, I will let you all know how it goes

Andrew

andrew1810, Nov 5, 2003
Ask a Question