John Michell R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by SCIDB, Oct 26, 2003.

1. SCIDB

SCIDB Moderator

Hi

I understand that John Michell of J. A. Michell Engineering (Gyrodec fame) has passed away.

He produced a number of high quality engineered products including the Gyrodec, Hydraulic reference, Prisma, Focus one & Orbe. His stuff was always made to a high standard.

He was a credit to the industry, a man who took great pride in his work. He was nice to deal with & will be missed by many.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Oct 26, 2003
  2. SCIDB

Lt Cdr Data om

oh dear...his turntables and other designs were unique, unusual and superbly engineered.

I have always wanted an orbe..I hope the prices don't go silly as a result. I wonder what this will do for future support?

Lt Cdr Data, Oct 26, 2003
  3. SCIDB

HenryT

This is sad news indeed. :(

Although I did not know John personally, on the odd one or two occassion that I spoke to him at hi-fi shows, he always appeared to come across one very affable person.

I heard a couple of years ago that he was diagnosed with a type of cancer known as Hodgkins, but at the time received a course of successful treatment, only to relapse again more recently. So I suspect this was the final outcome of that relapse.

I'd also suspect what the Michell Engineering being a family run business (as we are told in the adverts), that things will continue as they are for some time yet.

R.I.P.

HenryT, Oct 26, 2003
  4. SCIDB

Lt Cdr Data om

hodgekins lymphoma? cancer of the lymph nodes, so can travel around the body...not a healthy prognosis...

Lt Cdr Data, Oct 26, 2003
  5. SCIDB

Lawrie

Keepin' it real, right here in Lawrieville.
    Yes, a very sad loss indeed and as a Michell TT owner, I spoke to the man on several occassions. In terms of business continuity, Henry is spot on as John Michell's son-in-law had taken over the day-to-day running of the company a while back while JM himself acted as consultant leading to the intoduction of the Technodec. So my feeling is that for now, things would continue as they are.

May he rest in peace.

Enjoy the music,

Lawrie.

Lawrie, Oct 26, 2003
  6. SCIDB

merlin

Sad news, one of the few real gentlemen. If thre is such a place, I guess heaven has just got an upgrade.

merlin, Oct 26, 2003
  7. SCIDB

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I've talked to John a couple of times at shows at he always, as Henry said, seemed affable - he didn't balk when we put on Cinderella followed by Meredith Brookes either, so he wasn't averse to non-plinque at hifi shows.

I feel for his family - cancer's not particularly easy to deal with :(

domfjbrown, Oct 27, 2003
Ask a Question