Jools Hollands HipHop and Soul Special

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Heavymental, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Heavymental

Heavymental

Did anyone see this on Friday? Some great stuff from Jools show down the years. Amazing performance from Mary J Blige, I remember watching the set from the original show and it was superb. A good minute of amazing ad lib at the end of the song, the backing singers were applauding with the audience, you could tell they'd worked with none better. A real display of quality soul music.

Good stuff from Gill Scott and Angie Stone too. Any album recommendations for these artists? Been wondering what Mary J album to buy for a while as most reviews say they are hit and miss.

Funnily enough Joss Stone didn't appear on the show... :duck:

Heavymental, Oct 4, 2004
  2. Heavymental

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I didn't see this. I assume it was a compilation from old shows. I did look like a good line up. Maybe some these (& others) will on the new series.

As for albums try

Mary J Blige - What's the 411, My Life, Share my world & No More Drama

Angie Stone - Black Diamond, Mahogany Soul & Stone Love

Jill Scott - Who is Jill Scott: Words And Sounds Vol. 1 & Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds Vol 2

Also check out Erka Badu - Baduism, which is a corker of an album. A top notch benchmark for Neo-Soul.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Oct 4, 2004
  3. Heavymental

Heavymental

Nice one SCIDB....will check out some of those. No More Drama was one of the songs she did on the original show, beautiful song and again a jaw dropping performance, so may have to check that album.

Got a copy of Baduism somewhere, nice album from what I remember, I'll have to dig it out.

Thanks for the other suggestions, realised I need some more sweet soul in my collection.

Heavymental, Oct 4, 2004
  4. Heavymental

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

I'll second the shout for Baduism - Erika can wail - but certain parts can strip the walls with the high frequencies!!! Bass playing is top notch on this album as well.

//lamboy

lAmBoY, Oct 4, 2004
  5. Heavymental

Heavymental

SCIDB - thanks for the recommendations here, got Mahogany Soul and No More Drama and Jill Scott vol 2 is on the way. Also bought Amy Winehouse in the same basket but Mahogany Soul has really stood out so far...lovely album. I've been looking through the recommended lists on Amazon which are always useful and got a few ideas from there to. You heard any Rahsaan Patterson? He seems to get alot of mentions but I've never heard of him.

Heavymental, Feb 23, 2005
Ask a Question