Judging and remembering systems

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by titian, Mar 26, 2006.

1. titian

titian

In oder not hijack the phone thread I opend a new this one questioning the fact if it is possible to do judgements on systems we heard only once and for a short time.

When someone hears another system what he hears is a result of so many variables. The interesting point of it is that there are components which are less influenced from other factors. Therefore some systems are more "stable" then other in factor of reproducing the same quality of music: you can change minor things and you won't notice anything. Others instead are very sensitive and small modifications may change quite a bit the sound, so much that for a person it could change his opinion "I like it" / "I don't like it so much".
    This what I call "inner life" of a system is not percepted when listening to a somebody's elses hifi. Only after "living" a few weeks with it, you can start to realize what it really can do, maybe in the direction you prefer the sound to be.
    I find it more and more interesting not the "judgement" of a unknown system as "it is good" / "bad" but what are its characteristics and why possibly it is like that. The owner and his experiences with his system are the most important factors.
    Sometimes coming back to hear a system, I notice the sound is different mainly because of the hearing evolution of the owner or just because he is trying something.
    I'm no more having any fix ideas of a system anymore...just because some of them are never fix (even if their main components are) :)

titian, Mar 26, 2006
  2. titian

anon_bb Honey Badger

I think you can make very broad statements to the system as a whole.

anon_bb, Mar 26, 2006
  3. titian

RobHolt Moderator

A lot depends on the character of the kit in question, and by that that I mean deviations from what most would regard as neutral.
    The classic line of Linn speakers (eg Kan, Sara Brik) can be instantly recognised on repeated hearing at different venues. Same goes form most Lowther speakers which are noted for speed, Harbs and classic Spendors for that 'BBC like' tonality, Decca cartridges for stunning dynamiics etc.

The situation gets far more difficult with CD players , DACs and amps, where differences tend to be smaller.

There is nothing wrong with forming an opinion on a system based on a snapshot so long as you understand that the speakers and room acoustics will dominate those opinions. Living with a system over a longer period of time allows for the ear/brain to tune out the effects of frequency response variations and colouration to some degree and throws the focus onto the more subtle differences.

Rob.

RobHolt, Mar 26, 2006
  4. titian

Stereo Mic

I find it is the subtle that is only revealed on extended listening, and a truly transparent system is usually required to uncover it.

The interesting thing is that such setups are often dismissed on brief listening as lacking in certain areas, buy I find that they only lack in areas of hifi exhibitionism, and rarely in musical terms.

A truly balanced system will show it's inner life upon extended listening and delight the owner/listener for years to come. Interestingly, a lack of outright transparency is often diguised upon brief audition by a number of sonically impressive characteristics that hold little long term value.

Stereo Mic, Mar 26, 2006
  5. titian

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

judging and remembering systems?

a fun exercise, but I reserve final judgement on anything until I've played with it at home and put it in the context of components I know and a system I know.

bottleneck, Mar 26, 2006
Ask a Question