Just a few words about the Swings

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Gerner, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerner

joel Shaman of Signals

I guess it depends on what you mean by enjoy. SM is one of the few people with a great deal of experience and knowledge of a lot of audio equipment and is robust in his arguments.
    I enjoy that, although I guess others don't.
    However, a ZG without SM would be utterly anemic and of little interest to me at any rate.
    H

joel, Aug 31, 2007
  2. Gerner

melorib Lowrider

Regardless of all that dont post because they are fedup of beeing harrassed, for instance WM, and maybe 3DSonics, etc... :confused:

melorib, Aug 31, 2007
  3. Gerner

anubisgrau

sorry guys, i don't get why a topic dedicated to one of the most interesting recent speaker designs (hybrid of a horn loaded compression coax driver and active isobarik 2x15" bass units that actually sounds really really good) needs to end in a usual personal BS.

why not opening a topic on SM or whoever bothers you on off-topic sub-forum and play personal games as long as you like....

i am really not sure if SM's questions initialized such a reaction - i found his curiousity for details of an unusual speaker design completely normal, just as a gerner's politeness not to go into the technical details without a consent of the manufacturer. both stances completely valid to me.

what you are completely missing here is a brilliant speaker, IMHO

anubisgrau, Aug 31, 2007
  4. Gerner

joel Shaman of Signals

I already know all about Altec 604s - in fact I've got a pair in a cabinet right behind me. Thanks for the thought anyway.
    The horn loaded compression coax driver in a 15" frame idea dates back to the late 1920s / early 1930s.

joel, Aug 31, 2007
  5. Gerner

anubisgrau

thanks for the lesson, but i'm afraid that the only similarity between altec 604 and oris swing is they both somehow belong to horn speakers.

anubisgrau, Aug 31, 2007
  6. Gerner

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Valid point Gordan (Anubisgrau) - apologies from my side - however this is indicative of how unpleasant posting creeps across the forum like contamination, I just don't like it and it has annoyed me.

Still need to pm you about the preamp I've found which I'd normally share on a posting. . . . however!

larkrise, Aug 31, 2007
  7. Gerner

Markus S Trade

Joel, isn't it time you started a forum again?

Markus S, Aug 31, 2007
  8. Gerner

anubisgrau

hi laurence, sorry i didn't mean you at all in this case. it's true that net conferences are not the best place to study social skills however after all the episodes with mana, ATC, PMC we have all witnessed i would expect we are experienced enough not to bother with someone's tempororary lack of a hormonal balance - me included.

however with the recent antonio/SM musings that simply pop up whenever you open ZG, i've thought this is really losing any sense to me. do we still have mods on duty?

as always i'm very curious to hear what new preamp you're after. i'm currently a bit more frustrated with the speakers so i settled with my good old EAR 864 and a simple bent TVC for off-AC duties during warm summer days.

anubisgrau, Aug 31, 2007
  9. Gerner

Markus S Trade

I agree the SM/Melorib altercations are no fun to watch. SM's temper seems to be shorter still currently than usual. But I can understand his frustration with people who seem immune to good advice.

If this forum needs to lose on of them to get back on track, my vote would certainly go to losing Antonio. But I'd hope that he can take a chill pill, lower the testosterone level a bit (difficult, I'm sure, with his young girlfriend) and start behaving like a mature person.

Markus S, Aug 31, 2007
  10. Gerner

Gerner

Hi neighbour...

Thanks for taking a stance of both parts. The one who will not tell of his own resons and standards, and the one of course who would like to share what it is about that BMS driver that has been done.

Thanks Gordan. But it's natural to ask such questions. It is just impossible for me to answer.
    I tried before to sell the idea that I didn't show up here to rave nor being Mr Clever guy.

I just commented your nice story about the Swings. And thankyou for that BTW.

Now off topic (And it shouldn't be allowed):

A bad manner of many forum participants is to insert "virus discussions" in a clean topic of it's own.
    Most moderators have given place to those kind of BM in other topics, but it's rarely respected.

The two forums I normally share opinions with, people are simply banned for not respecting that.

Now this thread is far away the worse I saw, so OK. :)

Gerner

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2007
    Gerner, Aug 31, 2007
  11. Gerner

melorib Lowrider

And who are you to decide that... :confused:

I take advice from people that know what they are saying, not from uneducated brats like you and SM...

melorib, Aug 31, 2007
  12. Gerner

Gerner

It is excactly this kind of friendly messages which made me decide to leave this forum. I took only a few hours since a "Welcome" Gerner and people here started combating each other.

That's not related to me I assume, but to the tensions that excist in this corner of the world?

I feel sure almost all of you fellowmen here are very nice and serious with whatever you are doing.

But it's sort of waste to spend much time here.

I wish you all well :cry:

Gerner:(

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2007
    Gerner, Aug 31, 2007
  13. Gerner

Markus S Trade

I am God.

Markus S, Aug 31, 2007
  14. Gerner

joel Shaman of Signals

The Altec 604 is precisely a horn-loaded co-ax in a 15" driver.

Sure. There aren't enough forums that focus on traditional African & Asian music and road cycling :) I would never, ever do anything related to hifi, though.

joel, Aug 31, 2007
  15. Gerner

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

I am sorry to hear this Gerner - but i can hardly blame you, considering this myself.

larkrise, Aug 31, 2007
  16. Gerner

Markus S Trade

Gerner, please let Gordan fill you in about some of the background. I agree that this thread is somewhat unfortunate - perhaps a mod will prune it later - but the forum is not as bad as it seems.

Markus S, Aug 31, 2007
  17. Gerner

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

it's a british thing I think, unfortunately. You don't seem to get this as much on American hifi forums.

Hopefully people will let arguements die and move on.

Mind you, without a bit of excitement this place would be less ''eastenders'' and more ''coronation street''..

bottleneck, Aug 31, 2007
  18. Gerner

sideshowbob Trisha

He's also in the process of putting together a potentially exceptional pair of speakers. They're already excellent, can't wait to hear them when they're finished. He's had some great systems over the last few years, this one is likely to be the best yet.

I browse this place for the occasionally intelligent discussions about audio, not the mysticism of the tweakers or the childish witterings of Antonio. SM is one of the posters here who knows a bit about how to achieve good sound.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Aug 31, 2007
  19. Gerner

melorib Lowrider

Gerner,

I am sorry that I contributed for you beeing upset, I did leave this forum before, for the same reasons, returned after a few years, to find the same uneducated brats, but with different names...

Now look at this thread, well, most threads lately, SM cannot stand any opinions different from his assumed dogmas, he is uneducated, arrogant and aggressiv...

Regardeless if the poster is assumed non technical like me, or a professional like for instance 3DSonics and WM, or like you, knows more than he is ever able to grasp with his limited capacity to hear...

He always starts to hide his ignorance by asking for scientific data, than, even when we show that data, he resorts to personal insults, whether he knows the person or not...

You will also find many criticizing his ways, I am guilty to answer to his diatribe, but other than his 2 friends pathetic attempts of humour, I have not seen anyone else criticizing my behaviour in the forum...

There is a very nice example of his behaviour in this forum's Twilight Zone, The Kindergarten (what an appropriate name), it gets particularlly interesting after page 8, I dont see any Antonio there...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2007
    melorib, Sep 1, 2007
  20. Gerner

joel Shaman of Signals

Who's the dunce

Antonio,
    As someone who blew his own amp doing a comedy DIY routine you really ought not to go round calling other people uneducated ;)

joel, Sep 1, 2007
Ask a Question