Just an introduction from my system...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by markinuk, Jun 25, 2008.

1. markinuk

markinuk

Hello all,

Only my second post here. Sorry, no photos. I haven't yet acquired a digital camera, and I don't think pics from my phone would really cut it! This is where I've got to after many years and with limited funds.

Main source: Nottingham Analogue Horizon with RB250 arm (rewired and with Origin Live counterweight) and Ortofon Rondo Red - nice, much better than the MC25FL I had before! I have also run a Goldring 1042 and an MC15 Super in the deck.

CD player: Rotel RCD965BX (second-hand for £60:D) with Net Audio clock and other mods.

Tuner: Rotel RCD 850AL (second-hand for £30. Is a "pre-loved Rotel" theme developing here?)

Amp: MF X-LPS v3 bought cheap in recent sale. Replaced X-LPS, a great improvement. Feeds into: Arcam A65+, the most refined amp I've ever owned.

Speakers: B & W DM601 Mk 3. These are quite clear and authoritative, without being harsh. I also have a nice pair of Sennheiser HD595 phones.

System sits on an Argos wooden end-table (record deck) and an old Target stand. There's a Russ Andrews Torlyte platform under the deck as well.

I use Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cable. This seems to suit the equipment I have.

Some of my previous kit was in my system very long-term, such as a Systemdek II, which I ran for 20 years. It's now helping a very old friend rediscover his vinyl (along with most of the rest of my "redundant" equipment)! I have seen a few tonearms and more than a few cartridges come and go over the years.

I only got into CD in 1999, and still have the slick little Sony player I bought then.

Mark

markinuk, Jun 25, 2008
  2. markinuk

Dev Moderator

Welcome to the forum Mark.

Dev, Jun 25, 2008
  3. markinuk

markinuk

Glad to be here.

I could add to the "pre-loved Rotel" theme an RA820BX2 amp I used for quite some years, and which now sits in another friend's system. Nice amp, a little hard-sounding at times.

Still have a collection of cartridges: Goldring 1042, Ortofon 530, Rega Bias, A&R Cambridge P77Mg, Ortofon Samba. Oh, and an old Heybrook RA20 (aka RB250) arm in a slightly dodgy state!

Mark

markinuk, Jun 25, 2008
  4. markinuk

macvisual

Hi Mark

Welcome Mark!!

I'm quite new to this marvellous hi-fi forum myself, love it... I recently bought a Nottingham Analogue Mentor from a friend, I've only just posted to N-Analogue the Paragon parallel tracking arm that came with it, missing a few bits. I will be using a Goldring 1042 cartridge on it whenever it gets sorted (I hope).

Best wishes...

peter
    (My system; Quad ESL 57 stats - Quad CDP-2 cd reply - Quad 405-2 amp - N-Analogue Mentor - Rotel Michi RHC-10 pnono stage)

macvisual, Jun 26, 2008
Ask a Question