just got my AE300s

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Rory, May 16, 2005.

1. Rory

Rory satisfied

the B stock stuff from Acoustic Energy. I had the intention of keeping them for a while till AE had ran out then flogging them on ebay for a bit of a profit. Loads of people have done it in the past so why not...

well. The box wasn't sealed anyway so I thought why not open the box up, and have a listen

Well cripes. These are not bad little speakers at all. I would rate them as quite a lot better than Quad 11ls (my current sub £500 fave), certainly more musical and tight than the £1200 Black Orchids I heard a few weeks back too. They are not as fast and tight and exciting as my £3500 Vaessens of course. The stereo image really is quite amazing. Bear in mind they are wired with Nordost Flatline gold (best sub £10/m speaker wire there is), 20yr old Sony reciever and 3 yr old Yamaha dvd player so hardly exotic stuff. Bass is tight and detailed and whats more astonishing is the vitality to the midrange. I am a bit of a midrange freak but most speakers recess the midrange way back, whereas I like to listen to teh whole frequency response with no discernible dips. These are great. I just listened to some Steve Reich and you would not think that the total sum of the system is around £200

But they are something very, very special. If you are looking for some speakers for under a ton and didn't get these you woudl be missing out on one hell of a bargain :eek:

Rory, May 16, 2005
  2. Rory

liamjf

Rory, you got a web site mate (AEs, not yours ;) )

Liam.

liamjf, May 17, 2005
  3. Rory

Rory satisfied

Rory, May 17, 2005
  4. Rory

Lt Cdr Data om

I am not sure what to make of the AE sound, I heard the aegis ones which were really dull, and tried the evo3 lately upon recommendation, and I found them clean, substantial bass punch, but sadly they had a flat recessed mid that I could nt really live with, nice for the cash tho'

Lt Cdr Data, May 17, 2005
  5. Rory

Rory satisfied

hmm these certainly don't recess the mid. they are the aesprit line- more upmarket than the aegis (evo). i'm happy and better than the shite you'd buy at richers for the same amount :d

Rory, May 17, 2005
  6. Rory

T-bone Sanchez

I have the Evo 3s and Ive got to say I really like them, for the money Ive not found anything close that matches my valve amp. However, there is a certain sparkle lacking somewhere that Ive never quite managed to put my finger on maybe this is it. Im hoping my full-rangers will be my answer. Still, for £275 a bargain.

T-bone Sanchez, May 18, 2005
Ask a Question