Just listened to a 12k SACD system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Yep, got a shop dem on what I'm guessing would cost 12k for an SACD system.
    It consisted of an MF Trivista SACD player, Trivista amp & power amp and a pair of MA GR20s.

Frankly the results were probably more of an indicative statement about how poor most dealers show off their system than anything else.
    I assume that a 12k system is usually a little more capable of actually controlling what's happening in the lower registers. It had virtually zero ability to be able to deal with drums and bass in a realistic fashion. Sounded more like a £500 system than a 12k one.
    The mid-range was fairly good, and yes it even had some depth to the sound (bit odd for me, having an FE system), but bounce, slam, pratt, where had they all gone....

Just to finish it off, the dealer had nothing at all on both SACD and CD formats, to give me a comparative demo. Just how do they expect to sell this kit?

BTW, the dealer was Super-fi in Swiss Cottage.

Mr_Sukebe, Sep 14, 2003
  2. Mr_Sukebe

julian2002 Muper Soderator

so you're saying it'd do clarinets really really well then? :D

i guess the mf gear and to a certain extent perhaps the sacd format are aimed at a different type of listener. you've been spoiled by your current gear, which as one reviewer put it. 'throws a spotlight on what other systems do wrong'.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 14, 2003
  3. Mr_Sukebe

NOS-4-A2 Creature of the night

You mean that you're not going to buy it on the off chance, just because the dealer says it's good and he's a really nice bloke?

NOS-4-A2, Sep 14, 2003
  4. Mr_Sukebe

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I could say well thats M/F for you, but I have heard that set up sound not too bad, but Mike it depends on what you are after, we like the 'Life and bounce' the Hifi squad major on the parts the M/F is good at, so it's horses for corses, however I've always found the new M/f stuff can't do 'Proper bass' yes big room filling stuff, but mis timed and way off controlled tight? humm, If you think tight in a clarinet sense then yes :) .WM

wadia-miester, Sep 14, 2003
  5. Mr_Sukebe

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I heard an MF Trivista CD player and Trivista amp into B&W 801s, playing a disc I know well (Eric Clapton unplugged). I preferred my rotel/B&W combo that I had at the time, and I significantly improved the rotel/B&W combo with isolation and whatnot after that (even before getting the meadowlarks). Just not my sound...

I-S, Sep 14, 2003
  6. Mr_Sukebe

titian

Did it at least look good? :D :rolleyes:

titian, Sep 14, 2003
  7. Mr_Sukebe

MO! MOnkey`ead!

erm.....

First of all who is this "we" you refer to Tony. Is this the same "we" who seems to type under your name? You do have a habit of talking in the third person ;) The only other person i'm aware of who does that is that craig david prick ;)

For all the criticism that can be dished out to MF kit, I've not heard "(not) capable of actually controlling what's happening " before. And as Sukebe says, it may have been down to how poor the dealer was ;)

I've not heard the Trivista and am of course just a blind follower.

I accept MF aint everyones cuppa, but, i've always found it not too lack as far as keeping a grip on things goes. If anything, I thought the criticism was it held too much of a grip!

That's all from us

MO

MO!, Sep 14, 2003
  8. Mr_Sukebe

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I take it you own MF MO?

I thought it sounded awful when I heard it, and I think the big stuff looks really gaudy.

But I havn't heard anything recently, perhaps they have got better.

garyi, Sep 14, 2003
  9. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Re: Re: Just listened to a 12k SACD system

Well my initial view was that it was at least impressive, as the CD, pre-amp and power are all huge. They roughly the same size as a full blown AV amp, and even manage to make my Teac VRDS look tame.
    Unfortunately, after a couple of mins of looking at them, I couldn't help but notice that the front facia of the pre and CDP looks a little contrived, as it's made up of several interlocking pieces of steel. In addition, the part holding the buttons, LEDs and disk tray is in a slightly different finish to the rest of the surrrounding steel. Bearing in mind the cost of the units, I wasn't impressed.
    On the power amp, the front facia also had a slight curve, except around the allan bolt in one of the corners, which was not as curved (inconsistent between corners of the unit). Again, for the cost of it, I'd expect finish to make you're average lexus look rubbish, and frankly it wasn't.

So no, I didn't like the looks of them. They're simply overblown in visual stakes and don't seem particularly well finished either.

Mr_Sukebe, Sep 14, 2003
  10. Mr_Sukebe

michaelab desafinado

In fairness MO! I think that in this case by "we" WM was referring to himself and Mr_Sukebe ;)

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 14, 2003
  11. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

With ref to MO's comments, I mostly agree.
    I actually believe that some of the problems during the dem were as much down to room acoustics as the kit, guess I didn't do a very good job of putting that across.
    In addition, I have heard the GR20s before, I don't particularly like them. I find them a little "hi-fi"ish in there presentation style, so that probably didn't help.

Having said all of that, the MF kit really did leave me a little underwhelmed. Even taking into account room acoustics/positioning/setup and a pair of speakers I don't particularly rate (for their cost), I did kind of expect more.

As I mentioned, both myself and wife thought my own system was a far more interesting listen, especially so in the area of drums/bass, which is surely a little embarrassing when my puny little integrated is running around with maybe 1/4 of the power of the MF, whilst driving a supposedly difficult to drive speaker.

Mr_Sukebe, Sep 14, 2003
  12. Mr_Sukebe

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Yep, nothing in the price bracket of the Tri vista gear though. A few "X" components.

If it didn't impress then it didn't impress. I just find it odd about the not keeping control of the sound seems to go against a lot of what is normaly aimed at MF gear. Sukebe pointed out himself it could have been other reasons. As i've said i've not heard it MOself (other than playing background at very low levels in a shop front), so it may well be down to the kit itself. But, as said, seems to go against the usual "over controlling, over clinical...." criticisms aimed at MF. Seems like slating for the sake of slating on some parts.

As for the looks, I had mixed impressions. It's certainly a sturdy looking bit of kit, but as soon as my girlfriend said it looked like it belonged on an intensive care ward doing life support duties, it sorta stuck in my head. Woman, the great leveler!

MO

MO!, Sep 14, 2003
  13. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

MO,

Apologies if it appeared that I was being deliberately defamatory to MF gear, especially as I've owned two pieces of kit from them, one of which I still have.

As I would happily argue, tastes in hi-fi are ALWAYS based on personal preference, hence why I think that it's a pretty good idea to state at least a little about my own personal preferences whilst commenting on other kit.
    After all, you'd hardly expect me to listen to a Naim amp and call in crap, when I've clearly bought some gear myself because I like the sound of it. Vice versa, chances are that the MF "style" really isn't going to be suited to my own desires anyway.
    So for others, maybe they'll like the sound of it.

Mr_Sukebe, Sep 14, 2003
  14. Mr_Sukebe

MO! MOnkey`ead!

You don't owe me an apology. :D

I've heard mixed views on the trivista kit. Some of it good, some bad, and some MOre a criticism of the SACD format.

It makes zero difference to me.

Cheers

MO :D

MO!, Sep 14, 2003
  15. Mr_Sukebe

Thats a tenner you owe me boy's :D mo, may I suggest you listen to new m/f gear, before posting a responce, there's a good little fellow, if your bad again Henrik may come round and spank your botty, but I spose you'd enjoy that, and would sit down for a month as Henrik hand hand be near your person :D

16. Mr_Sukebe

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I stated quite clearly i've not heard the trivista kit properly. My post was MOre to do with the fact that Sukebe stated from the start it could well have been down to the dealer. The criticisms he pointed out in the set up seemed to go against the usual ones.

It doesn't sound like it will be to his taste anyhow. I just find it amusing that there seems to be criticism for the sake of it sometimes, even if it contradicts itself. I was of course pre empting to an extent.

As for the rest of your post....

Bad? eh?

I do of course have a fully signed Celtic shirt which I bow before each night.

Hail Hail Brother Tony.

and you Tony

and you as well Tony

and lest "we" forget you too Tony

Cheers

MO, MOself and I

:p :p :p

MO!, Sep 14, 2003
  17. Mr_Sukebe

mo, the guys were right, and I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but 11 years old it is :)

18. Mr_Sukebe

MO! MOnkey`ead!

eh? you make no sense. Are you attempting to have an argument with me? Not my style sorry. The guys?

Coming from an "11 year old" hope this isn't too hurtfull, but erm..... grow up lad ;)

MO!, Sep 14, 2003
  19. Mr_Sukebe

michaelab desafinado

Tone - I'm not quite catching your drift here either :confused:

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 15, 2003
  20. Mr_Sukebe

Matt F

I've heard great things of the A308 power amp:

[​IMG]

Up there with the Brystons so I'm told.

Haven't heard it myself mind.