just might need some new speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by johnhunt, Jul 20, 2004.

1. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

we're moving to a victorian terrace. My kit is going to have to fit a room 13 ft by 10. I'll know for sure once i've moved but I suspect that my jm lab 920 electra's are going to struggle.

The most important thing is that the new speakers , if i need them , are toddler proof. The 920's are 50 odd kg each and there is little chance of her pushing them over. So if i did have smaller speakers then wall brackets and possibly a sub might be an option. I have a pretty free rein on this although not buying anything that might land on johnh junior is a priority.

the rest of the kit is avi pre/power ,lp12,arcam transport,sugden dac and some other bits and pieces.

any suggestions?

johnhunt, Jul 20, 2004
  2. johnhunt

dunkyboy

Bit obvious, but how about the 905s..?

Dunc

dunkyboy, Jul 20, 2004
  3. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

you know , it was thinking about a s/h pair of the little utopia's. i'm still concerned about stand mounters though.

johnhunt, Jul 20, 2004
  4. johnhunt

Matt F

John - standmounts are fine so long as you get heavy stands that you can fill with sand and then use blue-tak to couple the speakers to the stands. The weight of the stands means they're virtually impossible for a todler to push over and the blue-tak forms such a strong bond that when you actually want to remove the speakers from the stand you have to apply a surprising amount of upward force.

As for the speakers themselves, I had the same toddler issues as you and ended up going for Monitor Audio GR10's - as well as a standard grille, the (metal) bass driver has a solid central section (instead of a dustcap) and the tweeter has a little mesh grille of it's own protecting it. I figured that even if my boy got the grilles off (which he never has, bless him) he wouldn't be able to do much finger prodding damage to the drive units.

On top of this the GR10's are rather fine sounding speakers with great bass for their smallish size.

Matt.

Matt F, Jul 20, 2004
  5. johnhunt

joel Shaman of Signals

Just wait and see in the new room. It would probably be worth taking a few measurements just to see what problems you really do have.

joel, Jul 20, 2004
  6. johnhunt

kermit still dreaming.......

I was thinking you should wait and see as well .
    Is this going to be a dedicated hifi room ? you might well find that you,ll be able to pull the speakers into the room a bit to help make them work .
    I can,t see 905,s being any good for you up against a wall , my experience of them says they need loads of space .
    I may get laughed at for this suggestion , but if your 920,s are too much , is there a way of disconecting the bass driver and using them as very solid standmounts?

kermit, Jul 20, 2004
  7. johnhunt

Tenson Moderator

As other have said, wait and see... but how about selling the power amp and getting some PMC aml1's? On their dedicated stands I would have trouble pushing them over. They sound bloody fantastic too. Being front ported they could go close to a wall I feel and they also have built in EQ to adjust the bass roll off and so on. Have a listen too them and you will probably buy them!

Tenson, Jul 20, 2004
  8. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

i'm going to wait and see . we move in this friday so I should get to have soem kind of a listen over the weekend. I'm hopeful that I won't have to change them.

johnhunt, Jul 20, 2004
Ask a Question