Just ordered a Dynavector DV-17D3...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dunkyboy, Nov 17, 2006.

1. dunkyboy

Stuart

P75 is well worth it with the DV17. I upgraded to this from a Dino and haven't looked back.

Stuart, Jan 6, 2007
  2. dunkyboy

Goomer

Bringing this back to ask joolsburger, did you use the standard 50mm shield anchors when fixing your Stands Unique shelf (I assume it's on a solid wall), or did you go for somehting more substantial?

Thanks,

Chris.

Goomer, Jan 20, 2007
  3. dunkyboy

Joolsburger

I don't know what 50mm Shield anchors are!

The wall is an outside brick wall and I used some very big hex headed screws to fit it - I took the shelf mount to my hardware shop and bought the biggest ones that fit the holes. They are about 4 inches long from memory. Then Rawlplugs and job done - The glass will break before that shelf comes down!!

Joolsburger, Jan 22, 2007
  4. dunkyboy

Goomer

Thanks for the info, jools. I just bought one of these shelves and shield anchors are what Stands Unique refer to on their website for fixing, specifically 50mm long ones. I've always used big screws for fixing wall shelves before so was curious what you'd gone for. FYI, shield anchors can be seen here:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=19510&ts=48149

My wall shelf is of the non-lit variety and I'm trying to decide whether to add the currently available lights to it, or wait for the new ones that Stands Unique are trialling at present. I will probably just leave it as is at present and see if I have any spare wall sockets left after I've connected everything up.

Thanks again,

Chris.

Goomer, Jan 23, 2007
  5. dunkyboy

Joolsburger

No worries had I known what they are I'd have probably used them LOL.

Joolsburger, Jan 23, 2007
  6. dunkyboy

ben556473

There is a really in-depth article named 'How to Align your Cartridge Correctly' in Januarys' Hi-Fi News magazine . It has lots of diagrams and discusses most of the variables including 'Azimuth' which can affect channel separation. Don't know if this has anything to do with the off-center effect some of you are reporting on the Dynavector cartridge. Hope it helps anyway, Ben.

ben556473, Jan 28, 2007
  7. dunkyboy

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

It was a good in depth technical article full of good advice (mostly :) ). Its a shame we don't see this sort of thing more often on different subjects in the press. There's only so many reviews one can stomach.

Uncle Ants, Jan 28, 2007
  8. dunkyboy

ben556473

I agree, I enjoy reading technical writing even when it doesn't directly apply to me. Could it be that a gradual changing of the azimuth has caused the off centering of sound that Dunkyboy reports on page 7 and also the greater 'surface noise from one channel'. I don't know anything about vinyl really, am hoping to buy my first turntable this coming weekend, but would like to know if that could cause those symptoms.

ben556473, Jan 29, 2007
  9. dunkyboy

Yes definitely or bias being out. I had this happen once on a cart where over a shortish period oftime the suspension settled crooked so that the cantilever which started straight wound up skewed left. Not only resulting in misalignment but azimuth being out too. The HFN test record has a very handy track to adjusting azimuth ... but it only works properly if your amp has a mono switch unfortunately.

Uncle Ants, Jan 29, 2007
  10. dunkyboy

ben556473

Out of interest is there a book or 'manual' published which deals with all matters concerning turtable set up and phono stage/cartridge compatability? Preferably with good diagrams! Thanks, Ben.

ben556473, Jan 29, 2007
  11. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Update - success at last!

Just letting y'all know that I finally got the armboard (and Achromat) last Friday and was able to put it all together over the weekend. The arm-hole in the board was indeed slightly off (about 0.5cm) in the old armboard, so it must've been drilled for a different arm after all.

Anyway, it sounds fantastic now! No channel balance issues (that I've noticed so far anyway), no tracking issues (I've yet to determine just how well it tracks, as I've only listened to a few records so far, but it's sounding good), and really gorgeous, solid, stable sound with incredible inner detail. It now sounds vastly better than my [very good] CD front end. :) I suspect the Achromat has a lot to do with the improvement.

I'll keep you updated with any further developments, but I'm hoping that'll be the end of my turntable strife... I still want to get the Vector/Anniversary upgrade eventually, but I'm not in any hurry - I'm perfectly happy to put my feet up and enjoy some music for the time being. :)

I am a bit put off of Funk Firm from my experience - it's taken nearly three months to get a handful of spare parts (user-assembled, no less!) and a stock item (the Achromat). The only work needed (AFAIK) was drilling and finishing the arm hole. But I'm not completely put off - Arthur K is a very good guy to deal with, and from the sound of it he has had a rather unfortunate winter! I'm willing to give him another chance with the Vector/Anni upgrade - I'm just glad I won't be doing it for a while!

Dunc

dunkyboy, Feb 27, 2007
  12. dunkyboy

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

ben,michael fremmer does a dvd on how to set up correctly, bit of a bible by all accounts.

sq225917, Feb 27, 2007
  13. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

All this talk of azimuth is a little scary as the azimuth on mine is visibly not quite right - the cart is visibly not quite horizontal in the headshell - but there's no way to adjust this with my arm... Can't imagine what's causing it...

Think I'll take the general Rega philosophy on this sort of thing (VTA in particular) and just leave it to the tweakos while I get on with enjoying the music. :p

Dunc

dunkyboy, Feb 27, 2007
  14. dunkyboy

Have a word with J7 over at Audio Origami - He has a little something for adjusting Azimuth on a Rega arm - it was in the experimental stage, but I don't know if its still is.

Uncle Ants, Feb 27, 2007
  15. dunkyboy

Joolsburger

I got an excellent top tip about Azimuth. Using a bit of superglue put a length of fine twine/string/cotton or something across the middle of the cartridge body from front to back. It acts as a pivot so that you can, through tightening and loosening the mounting screws, get a little adjustment of azimuth. No idea if it works!

How do you check anyway? I stuck a mirror under mine and looked at it from the front to see if the gap between the reflections were the same on both sides - It that how it's done or am I mad?

Glad you're all sorted now.

Just as a little aside I put on a bit of Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes last night. If you don't like the music that's fine but I have never heard that album sound like that before piano was powerful and her voice just soared. I think the DV 17 is without a doubt one of the best cartridges there is for the money (and probably quite a bit more).

Still the DV17 is one hell of a low rider!!!

Joolsburger, Feb 27, 2007
  16. dunkyboy

ben556473

A fellow forum user (Rob Holt) very kindly answered my post with regards finding good setup material and I can pass on the favour and forward the documents on to anyone who wants them if you give me your email address. A good solid eight or nine pages mind you.

ben556473, Feb 27, 2007
  17. dunkyboy

Mark P

Duncan,

I think azimuth is quite important actually and you may run the risk of uneven wear on the cartridge. I adjust the azimuth on my deck by shimming the armboard up at one side and then tightntening the bolts. Of course it depends how your armboard is mounted or how the arm is mounted to the armboard.

Mark P, Feb 28, 2007
Ask a Question