Just Thought I'd Share

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by DaHood, May 24, 2007.

1. DaHood

DaHood

Was considering purchasing a wireless Squeezebox; however on a whim I decided to hook my modded Xbox to my hifi via the Xbox's Toslink connection to my DAC. I was having a mad moment.....!

I then ripped a CD in flac format. The modded Xbox played the file from my network no problem, but I was not impressed with the sound quality at all. I then tweaked the audio settings on the Xbox, and hard wired my network (ethernet)....

All of a sudden...

BLISS..... The sound quality is simply superb and I'm in 7th heaven without having to fork out up to £200 for a Squeezebox. In the process I can also stream movies to my TV also....

Fantastic...so if any of you have an Xbox lying around give it a go I say.....

DaHood, May 24, 2007
  2. DaHood

Dev Moderator

Interesting, but can you please provide more details such as what was/were the tweak(s)?, and how did you hardware the Network (or do you mean using a crossover cable to connect a couple of devices directly instead of using a hub/switch)?

BTW, I don't have an Xbox, I'm just curious.

Dev, May 25, 2007
  3. DaHood

julian2002 Muper Soderator

iirc there are certain games that allow you to load a particular savegame file (you get off the interweb) which does some buffer overrrun hackery to indroduce new code onto the hard-drive. this allows you to install other software like media recievers or linux or whatever.
    i looked into this when i was looking at video streaming solutions but the games needed are very specific versions that are horribly rare - or you can chip your xbox to do the same thing but again that costs a bit.
    if you have one already chipped or hacked then it's probably worth it although i'm guessing jitter and the optical only interface(iirc) will limit performance unless your dac is jitter tolerant and has a good optical to electrical converter.
    put it this way i still use my squeezebox even though i have a video (/ audio) streamer too. it also keeps audio and video seperate (as much as i can do).

here u go...

http://www.productwiki.com/microsof...-xbox-to-xbox-media-center-in-30-minutes.html

julian2002, May 25, 2007
  4. DaHood

DaHood

My xbox was modded quite some time ago at a computer fair. I gave the guy £40 and at the time I installed a bigger hard drive that I load with Divx etc. The xbox and all of my PC's are connected to my various routers via ethernet. I'm not really a fan of wifi! My CD's are in the process of being flac'd.

The xbox is connected via it's digital output to my Beresford TC-7510 DAC using an ixos cable that cost around £40. Within the configuration of the Xbox (XBMC) audio properties I reduced the audio headroom setting to 0db; it was initially 12db and hence the reason for the flacs sounding horrid. I also changed the audio output settings to digital but left the 2 channel PCM and output stereo to all speakers unchecked. The same is true for the Dolby 5.1 and DTS settings too as I'm using an Exposure Pre/Power combo.

The sound is INCREDIBLE and is equally or (possibly my imagination) better than the sound reproduced via my MF A3CD player!

The only drawback so far is that I have to have my TV switched on to view what files to play! So far this will be the only reason why i'll invest in a Squeezebox because I don't need to have the TV on.....

DaHood, May 25, 2007
Ask a Question