KAB EV-1 advice please!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by daveb975, May 31, 2005.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Finally got my KAB EV-1 on the weekend, and have been busy trying to perfect my technique. Whilst the results are getting better, they are not perfect yet!

I was hoping some more experienced users may be able to answer a few questions:

1. However hard I try the KAB will not dry the outside edge of the record - has anyone else found this, or am I just doing something wrong. The start of each record I have cleaned sounds awful!

2. How much fluid should I use? I have found that using more, and leaving the record very wet after the initial scrub seems to yield less cloudy results.

3. What vacuum power should be used? I have a very powerful Miele cleaner that will operate anywhere between 300 and 1800RPM. I have found that results get better the more power that I use, but I havent dared to use nmore than 1200RPM for fear of warping my vinyl.

4. Does anyone use anything other than the supplied brush for the initial scrub? I have found that the machine is excellent and removing dust and static, but struggles with fingerprints etc?

Any advice appreciated!

daveb975, May 31, 2005
  2. daveb975

Paul L vinyl and valves mostly

It doesn't take long to iron out these things Dave.

I have tried a different carbon fibre brush but still prefer the original velvet type. I don't know what fluid you are using but if (or when) you move to home brew wetting agent makes a difference in spread (stops beading), cleaning and vacuuming. I don't know what power my Dyson has but I've not worried about warped vinyl.

There is always a ring of fluid left at the outside groove, some or than others. I clean both sides then leave that record on top of a new inner by my side. I clean the next record by which time the fluid has evaporated from the first and I flip that one over onto the other side of the new inner. I clean a third, flip the seoncd one over and put the first away in its new sleeve. This 'production line' is the best way I have found.

Can't answer on fingerprints as it's not soething I have ever had on my vinyl.

Paul

Paul L, May 31, 2005
  3. daveb975

Machineman

Hi Dave,
    I have had a Kab for about a month now and i use a 1200Watt cylinder vacuum with it and have also tried a Vax(1000watt i think). Anyhoo, i have also noticed the wet area on the lead in groove, but only if i have given it 2 vacuum revolutions instead of my usual 3. Apart from that, my experience of this machine is the opposite to yours in that i have found it removes fingerprints/dust easily, but leaves major static build up behind. Infact my records rarely sound quieter after cleaning and can sometimes have even more surface noise! Now it maybe that my high output cartridge is contributing to this but i am beginning to wonder whether i ever needed a record cleaner in the first place. I have only used the standard velvet brush so far and have toyed with the idea of getting the Kab bristle brush but doubt it would get any deeper into the grooves.
    I would also value further comments from users of the Kab.

Cheers.

Machineman, May 31, 2005
  4. daveb975

blakeaudio

and there i was thinking that this might be the inexpensive record cleaning option..... :rolleyes:

i think i'm going to give the knosti a bash...

blakeaudio, May 31, 2005
  5. daveb975

griffo104

Blimey I'm having none of these problems with my KAB.

So far no static and although I only had one record with fingerprints I couldn't see them afterwards.

1. I also have a Miele and use it 1200w - I found the higher power leaves marks on the records as you rotate it therefore I think it is too powerful.

2. As for fluid I put 3 drops near the inner groove and then space out a couple or 3 more drops heading to the outer groove for each half of a side - therefore about 12 drops going horizontally across the side. Then I take the corner of the brush and gently merge the drops into a line and then once the line is there use this to spread the fluid around that half of the side - repeat this on the other half of the side. This means that the bulk of the fluid starts at the inner groove - it also makes it easier to control the fluid.

3. Once done I tend to use 4 or 5 revolutions per side - I'm sure it states to do 4 or 5 in the instructions and slowly as well.

Using this method I have only had one record out of about 30 that has still been wet on the outer groove - and no static to speak of.

One their website they state not to use too much fluid and I've found that viewing each side as 2 halves makes it easier to spread the fluid accurately around.

I cleaned 15 records Sunday morning and subsequently listened to 4 of them afterwards - these were 2nd hand classical records and apart from the odd pop, all were nearly silent.

From the website :
    'Typically, based on five drops of fluid per side, that's about 1/10th ounce per record. A 16 Oz bottle will do about 160 records. Your results may vary. In the beginning most users feel inclined to use excessive amounts of fluid. This does not make the record any cleaner.'

If you put too much fluid on and you are only doing 2 revolutions the fluid will not be dried by the vacuuming and subsequently will still be wet when you replace it in the sleeve - and the outside edge will have some residue. Therefore when you play the record you will actually be listening to the dried fluid which may be why there is so much noise.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2005
    griffo104, May 31, 2005
  6. daveb975

Machineman

Hi Griffo,
    I definitely think a different cart may help me with the surface noise issue, some reject it better than others, although mine is only six months old. However, by way of experiment, i have a Robert PlantLP which has always been dead silent between tracks etc, but has never been wet cleaned. It was very dusty though. So i cleaned it with the Kab and it looked spotless, put it on and loads of surface noise, sounded like frying bacon! Now to be fair, a quick sweep with a Decca 2+2 brush and most of it disappeared but not all. So the overall result was one noisier Planty LP, so wish i hadn't bothered.
    I am beginning to think i now need a Zerostat gun as well, one of these days I'll be able to stop spending money and sit down and listen without all this faffing around.

Machineman, May 31, 2005
  7. daveb975

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Yes, but once you've antistatted it once and then you keep it in a proper liner, such as a Nagaoka, it'll stay that way for ever if all you do is take it on and off a player, so it's worth the trouble and part of the fun.

SteveC, May 31, 2005
  8. daveb975

blakeaudio

so do those anti stat guns really work? it looked a little snake oilish to me...

blakeaudio, May 31, 2005
  9. daveb975

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Yes, absolutely they work. They're as real as lightning and the shocks you get when you get out of a car on a dry day when wearing nylons (if applicable). At last the felt mat will no longer lift off with your LPs

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2005
    SteveC, May 31, 2005
  10. daveb975

griffo104

Machineman,

I'd be careful about the amount of fluid you use. Don't forget to put a couple of drops on the brush before you start.

Using the method I've described above I've only had one side which is noisy and that was where I used too much fluid.

Also try and use more than 3 revolutions if possible. Static has not been a problem but I do replace all liners with Goldring Exstatic inners. Also my new silicon mat is very good at not creating static so may be this is helping with me.

I had 3 Bax records arrive on Saturday and cleaned all 3 before playing them. they are almost silent - a bit of groove noise but you have to expect that from records that are 30 odd years old.
    I listened to one directly after cleaning it and thoroughly enjoyed it and certainly no need for anti-static guns (which don't work, imo) and no frying bacon (although I'm feeling a bit peckish now).

griffo104, May 31, 2005
  11. daveb975

Machineman

Griffo,
    I only use the same amount of fluid as you and 3-4 (slow) revolutions sucking. Then into a Nagaoka inner, so tbh i am at a loss to explain. I am off out now to my second hand vinyl shop and am gonna buy a rook of stuff and do the before an after. let you know laters.

Machineman, May 31, 2005
  12. daveb975

analoguekid Planet Rush

Machineman, I reckon your problems may be down to too little revolutions, I turn mine around 10 times, quickly, and gets rid of static, finger prints, you name it. Spin a ittle more.

Blake, TBH I had the Knosti, and sold pretty sharpish, wasn't too impressed TBH, the Kab blows it into the weeds, as good as more expensive cleaners, but fiddlier to use, although can be put away in a drawer when not in use, unlike the bigger ones.

analoguekid, May 31, 2005
  13. daveb975

Paul L vinyl and valves mostly

I agree it is all down to the way you use a KAB, I haven't found it fiddly per se and I haven't suffered static problems.

I am quite generous with the fluid, when I bought it I also took a 16ml and a 64ml bottle of Nitty Gritty fluid and used them for home brew once they ran out. I use 70% RO water and 30% isopropyl into the 64ml bottle. I only add wetting agent into the 16ml bottle as I learned it loses its properties after a few days. I put a good few drops in 3 places on a record and then gently spread this for about 2 revolutions. I then scrub the record for about 4 scrubs a bit by bit and work my way around 1 revolution. I then vacuum slowly for 4 turns. Easier to show than describe. The first record always takes a little more work whilst the brush wets properly.

Paul

Paul L, May 31, 2005
Ask a Question