Keane - A bit boring?

Discussion in 'General Music' started by amazingtrade, Nov 15, 2004.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I have just bought the Kean album however I am not too sure what I think of it. I have seen Keane live on the TV and was quite impressed but I find the album a bit boring. It seems a little bit safe in some aspects. There are some great songs on there but I am not sure why its got so much critical aclaim.

It just seems to sound like Travis with a bit more keyboards.

Don't get me wrong I like the album it is one of the better of the new albums I have heared but it just dosn't quite live up to the hype.

I guess I will have a better judgement when I have listended to a few more times. I know I am very late buying this album I just didn't really have the money before to buy it.

amazingtrade, Nov 15, 2004
  2. amazingtrade

PeteH Natural Blue

To be honest I found it just a bit too Coldplay-esque easy listening - very easy on the ear to listen to once or twice, but without the depth to hold your interest after that (though to be fair the saturation radio coverage hasn't really helped there).

PeteH, Nov 16, 2004
  3. amazingtrade

I think that the problem with it, it just seems very safe and not really ground breaking. I am bored of all these indie-pop acts. I want to be surprised musicially and lyricaly.

amazingtrade, Nov 16, 2004
  4. amazingtrade

Saab

Snow Patrol is a much better album imo.

Saab, Nov 16, 2004
  5. amazingtrade

robert_cyrus

snow patrol also have 3 albums under their belt, not to mention "on-the-side" evil reindeer.

keane are excellent live, saw them supporting travis. very strong musically, they can only go upwards imo.

robert_cyrus, Nov 16, 2004
  6. amazingtrade

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Indeed, I too think that the album is somewhat lacklustre.

But that is usually the way of the award-winning albums. Train won a load of awards for Drops of Jupiter, but IMO Train and My Private Nation were better albums (particularly Train).

Obviously there's exceptions to that as well though. Feelin' Strangely Fine was a brilliant album; Semisonic's best, and it's the one they won awards for (although there's some very good songs on Great Divide and Chemistry as well).

I-S, Nov 16, 2004
  7. amazingtrade

sideshowbob Trisha

They're sensitive souls who need a damned good slap.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 16, 2004
  8. amazingtrade

My name is Ron It is, it really is

What he said. Actually, make that a damned good kicking.

My name is Ron, Nov 16, 2004
  9. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

Got to say I'm rather partial to it. Good tunes, well put together, melodies that most bands would die for, and best of all able to do it live. I see a big future for them. Tons better than the rather dreary coldplay

lordsummit, Nov 16, 2004
  10. amazingtrade

I have a feeling they are probably better live than on the record though. When I saw clips from Move I was quite impressed with their performance.

amazingtrade, Nov 16, 2004
  11. amazingtrade

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

There is a whole school of insipid british pop masquerading as 'serious' indie music for young intellectuals. Coldplay, Travis, Keane, The Doves, Coral etc etc etc. All hyped, all advertised late on Friday and Saturday nights on Channel 4 and all not a got a hope in hell of actually doing something different or worthwhile. Or maybe they will surprises me one day.

If you want the real thing, stick to Radiohead & PJ Harvey. Probably many others too who don't get the hype the pallid bunch above get.

alanbeeb, Nov 16, 2004
  12. amazingtrade

michaelab desafinado

I'd agree with all of the above except for Coldplay. I really like their stuff and it is quite original too. Can't stand the other bands mentioned though.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 16, 2004
  13. amazingtrade

Will The Lucky One

I agree wholeheartedly with your first paragraph! I really liked Travis to start with, I was indifferent to coldplay, but by the time everybody started raving about Keane I was left somewhat bored by what I heard. To me it just seemed very one paced and derivative, can't see what the big fuss is about really :( give me Turin Breaks anyday, for some reason I just prefer them to coldplay.

Disagree with you with regards to radiohead though...music to commit suicide to perhaps :D ;)

Will, Nov 16, 2004
  14. amazingtrade

PeteH Natural Blue

Have slightly compressed the quotation alanbeeb, but I'd certainly agree with the above sentiments (don't really know any PJ Harvey I'm afraid). Coldplay have a knack for an interesting chord sequence, but instead of developing a song from it they decide that it is the song, so you just get the same thing over and over. TBH though that's exactly what the vast majority of acts do these days, except that their chord sequence isn't that interesting to begin with. :D

alanbeeb, I don't know if you've tried any Divine Comedy, but you might like to take a look if you haven't (Casanova was the high point, but Absent Friends and Regeneration are both pretty decent too, and I know lordsummit for one likes Fin de Siecle).

PeteH, Nov 16, 2004
  15. amazingtrade

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Pete - yes I have tried some Divine Comedy - after your recommendation in thread some months ago about pop music classical fans might like. I quite like it but need to listen a bit more, its certainly original and interesting so could prove worthwhile.

alanbeeb, Nov 16, 2004
  16. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I've recently been playing Delakota "One Love".

Still one of my fav alternative/indie albums.

Some fresh ideas, some funky beats, and a general swagger and bagginess to it.

Very highly recomended to those who like their "indie" with a bit of an edge.

MO!, Nov 16, 2004
  17. amazingtrade

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

I bought the album and am also disappointed, for much the same reasons. Maybe they are good live, but they need the record to get people to go and see them. I see the Wedding Present supposedly have something new coming out... that should be far more worth a listen!

ilockyer, Nov 16, 2004
Ask a Question