KEF 102's...equalizer instead of Kube?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by starkiller, Sep 1, 2008.

1. starkiller

starkiller

picked up a pair of these a bit ago with no Kube. am finding its real hard to locate one. person at KEF USA said to use a good equalizer instead. good or bad idea?

starkiller, Sep 1, 2008
  2. starkiller

spica

Hi...had a pair of 102's for a while (7-8yrs ago) powerful little speakers for the size and was also interested in finding the kube(equalizer) for them, but not to buy until i tried, i did find, thanks to a good friend who runs a hifi business, and tried and didn't buy, used his kit in shop/home..all Revox (still is) so can only advise the same..try to try before you buy.

spica, Sep 1, 2008
  3. starkiller

starkiller

hah! that's if i can find one :(

starkiller, Sep 3, 2008
  4. starkiller

spica

Try placing an ad in a hifi mag, to buy, or perhaps try from a person in/around Seattle, if , that is, you haven't already tried this approach.
    Good Luck...

spica, Sep 3, 2008
  5. starkiller

Mark P

Keep an eye on eBay. Kube's come up occasionally. They do come in different versions for different models. SO I woild recommend an email to KEF in the UK to ask them which version(s) are suitable for your speakers (by serial number)

I had an early Kube with my early 104/2 Refs and although I liked the Kube on classical for the extra extension in the bass. Eventually, I took it out of circuit because:
    1. it seemed to slow rock music down, the 104/2's are very 'fast' and they seemed to drag their feet
    2. I don't listen to much classical
    3. I couldn't be faffed with switching it in and out depending on the kind of music I was listening too

Your milage may vary.

Happy hunting.

Mark P, Sep 4, 2008
Ask a Question