kef 104/2 v 105/3

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ziggy72, Feb 6, 2006.

1. ziggy72

greg Its a G thing

Nope, would like to though. I wonder whether many sold. If so whether they come up on the used market and for how much.

118 db spl :)

greg, Feb 9, 2006
  2. ziggy72

greg Its a G thing

Very useful info Len. I'm developing a quiet passion for older large speaker systems. i dont think there's any Nippon blood in my family, yet big JBLs and now these are of considerable interest. My current 107s are as wide as I can go right now (we are due to move house soon though) - they accommodate 2*10" bass drivers in the lower cabinet, but something with a minimum 12" is where I'd like to be (wouldnt we all :) ).

greg, Feb 9, 2006
  3. ziggy72

Legzr1

Mmmm,109 Maidstone - i'd love to have a listen to a pair (leaving my credit card at home,naturally).
    I've never seen a used pair advertised,anywhere - don't know if that's a good thing or not ;)

Interesting comment from a Hifi+ review pasted below. :)

"It was also interesting to observe the reaction of other people, especially those not interested in hi-fi. The normal response to a pair of loudspeakers the size of the Maidstone's is an immediate 'How much do they cost?' closely followed by remarks concerning the justification of such expenditure, prior to a cursory listen. These KEF's elicited somewhat different behaviour. Possibly because of the grand scale with which they reproduced music, the normally casual listener was often seduced into a longer relationship. At one stage whilst the review pair was in residence, what started as an evening barbecue instead became an intensive listening session. I ended up with eight people present (none of them remotely interested in hi-fi), rifling my music collection for requests, and wallowing in the sheer enjoyment of the sound, to the virtual exclusion of conversation. This continued until just after 5 o'clock in the morning! "

Not exactly shrinking violets or the nicest looking boxes out there ;)

[​IMG]

Legzr1, Feb 9, 2006
  4. ziggy72

mr cat Member of the month

5. ziggy72

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

leonard smalls, Feb 13, 2006
Ask a Question