KEF Reference 1.2

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by tom_nieto, Jul 5, 2004.

1. tom_nieto

tom_nieto

Should I buy these for £700 new in rosewood finish from Hyperfi? I'd like to say yes, but they've also got some mission 783s in black for £430 which I'm very interested in also!

I've heard mixed reviews for them both, and ideally I need to know very soon!

tom_nieto, Jul 5, 2004
  2. tom_nieto

MO! MOnkey`ead!

psst.. another secret. Don't take Hyperfi's claims as fact ;)

Check they've got them in stock. I may be wrong, but many (MOself included), have had problems with them not stocking what they claim.

MO!, Jul 5, 2004
  3. tom_nieto

PeteH Natural Blue

I really didn't rate the 783s when I had a chance to buy some at a dealer's for £500. And I've had trouble actually obtaining anything from Hyperfi in the past...

PeteH, Jul 5, 2004
  4. tom_nieto

GaryG

Depending on your taste you may find the original Ref 1's better, the voicing on the .2 is different (for the American market I'm told). With regard to price, if you're happy to pay the tax man 17.5% by all means go ahead, however, better bargains can be had on the used market.

GaryG, Jul 5, 2004
  5. tom_nieto

Matt F

I ran a pair of the next model up - the Ref 2.2 - and I found them to be superb - amazing imaging thanks to the Uni-q drivers - I also found they were incredibly easy to place - they seemed to sound good wherever they were placed - the fact that they are front (rather than rear) ported probably helps here. Beautifully built too.

There are other alternatives though - check the ex-dem listings - I noticed a pair of Proac Studio 125's for £750 the other day (on the www.audio-excellence.co.uk site) which might be worth a listen.

Matt.

Matt F, Jul 5, 2004
Ask a Question