Kenwood KA660D

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by hottip, Feb 28, 2024.

1. hottip

hottip

Hi Folks, I have restored this Amp,- switches cleaned, some caps replaced, voltages checked,- and it's working fine on all inputs
    including phono on MM (moving magnet). But when I selected MC (moving coil) I expected a large increase in volume but instead volume dropped way back and lost most of the treble. Both channels the same.
    I'm trying to trace the circuit but the only free service manuals appear to be from the same source and are illegible at component level. But it does appear that the actual circuit differs from the manual.
    If anyone has this Amp, and uses it on 'Phono" I would be keen to know if the MC selection works properly.

hottip, Feb 28, 2024
  2. hottip

Arkless Electronics

You need to be using an actual MC cartridge! The 100R input impedance on MC will cause that effect if an MM cart is used.

Arkless Electronics, Feb 29, 2024
  3. hottip

hottip

Thanks for that. I thought touching the 'live' of the input RCA plug would have given a louder buzz on MC compared to MM but that is not the case either.

hottip, Mar 3, 2024
  4. hottip

Arkless Electronics

Yep that's correct and also due to the much lower input impedance of the MC input.

Arkless Electronics, Mar 4, 2024
  5. hottip

hottip

Appreciate your help, always learning!

hottip, Mar 4, 2024
Ask a Question