Kimber PBJ and I/C stuff

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by cookiemonster, Jul 8, 2003.

1. cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Just after your thoughts on this i/c. Price seems reasonable - and for what they are worth it has had excellent write ups. I would be interested in the attenuated version too even if it does not benefit the sound it would free up more of the volume control.

The crystal CU is also a similar price - how does that compare, and would the extra outlay benefit with say the silver streak which has a silver conductor in place of one of the copper.

I'm after more spaciousness and naturalness without compromising drive or bass thwack. Plus i don't really want to lose the slight forward nature of my current sound too much. Similarly i don't want to lean towards smoothness, preferring more detail and spice. Does that make sense?

Any other i/c suggestions sub say £120 (i could sopend more, but is probably silly in the context of my system) which could help me achieve more refinement in my presentation without compromising PRaT and the jig factor?

I curently use a Cable Talk Professional 3 - TBH i have not really tried much else with i/c's so this is new territory for me. This leads me to my next question.....

...is it worth spending more money on an i/c or even changing from the cable talk, or would i be best spending more on cables, which i also want to look at, where at the moment i have a prospective budget of £200? Are speaker cables generally more influential than i/c's. I have reached the stage where i would like to fine tune my system and extract the last ounces from my boxes (as they currently stand!), and hopefully i can achieve this by cable experimentation. (and some other bits and bobs, which i won't go into now)

cheers

cookiemonster, Jul 8, 2003
  2. cookiemonster

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I think we saw at the weekend that i/cs make little difference in the context of your system compared to some of the other tweaks.

Certainly it seemed to me that much more of what you are asking for was provided by the seismic sink than even WM's uber-money I/C, especially for the money you're talking about spending.

The speaker cables seemed to offer more change/improvement than the ICs also, again in the context of your system. I'd look into the seismic sink.

I-S, Jul 8, 2003
  3. cookiemonster

osama Perenially Bored

Sir cookiemonster, for about £80, you can try the popular VDH D102 MkIII i/c. IMO it's one cable that fits comfortably in any system. treble is sweet and effortless, bass is weighty and articulate, and construction seems to guarantee longer usage.

Speaking of cable construction, VDH have another interesting i/c, though at a much higher price, the First Ultimate that seems to offer something different: metal-less conductor that claims to withstand chemical and mechanical ageing, thereby preserving its performance for a longer period of time than metal-based conductors. Frankly, I don't know the validity of this claim as only time will really tell if this is true.:rolleyes:

I bought one of this actually and performance is excellent in my system but what impressed me most is like what i just mentioned, about its construction.

regards

osama, Jul 9, 2003
  4. cookiemonster

Robbo

The PJB is a good all round performing cable. My brother uses it in his system and it works nicely. you cant go wrong with it really. Try to get some s/h than you can sell it on for the same price you paid for it if it doesnt work out!

Robbo

Robbo, Jul 9, 2003
  5. cookiemonster

zanash

Have you considered DIY ?
    PM me and I'll send you the recipe card for the L'Argents. Or check out the DIY section.

zanash, Jul 9, 2003
  6. cookiemonster

cookiemonster

I skipped the looking and bought one. You have PM sir.

I won't claim to know anything about this cable osama, other than the observation that about 2 a day seem to crop up on e-bay for sale at knock down prices. Either everyone thinks they are the greatest cable since the telephone was invented, and wishes to share the wealth so to speak, or perhaps, if you forgive my cyniscism, those enthusiastic owners, are now no longer so enthusiastic. But if i ever get lent one, i will lend it my ear certainly.

Could have got one s/h from RA himself today, but it was not that much of a saving, and already having bought one new item today, my purchasing thirst has been reasonably quenched and retail therapy a success. Plus i want to try and assess one new item at a time. If it had been more of a deal though, i may have gone for it.

We met once, and it was decided by both parties that we really didn't get on all that well. Its now just a case of nodding to one another or an occasional glance when we accidentally and unavoidably bump into one another.

BTW - i love the name - classy:MILD: . Refer to the above regarding recipes. If you were manufacturing these bulk sir, i would audition them on name alone.

Merci beaucoup toute le monde.

cookiemonster, Jul 10, 2003
  7. cookiemonster

penance Arrogant Cock

cookie, where did you get the sink and how much?

penance, Jul 10, 2003
  8. cookiemonster

zanash

Cookie I'm a bit thick this morning I don't understand your post ?

Penence.....

Did you get my emails ?

I tried to send another but the file size was too big ! I'll try again with one of smaller size.

zanash, Jul 11, 2003
  9. cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Any bit in particular or all of it?

Hmmm.....if you mean the bit in response to your good self, i am basically skirting around the plain fact that i have neither the inclination nor the tools to construct my own I/C's.

Your latest and best I/C's have a cool name too, was the other bit......

How are we communicating now?

cookiemonster, Jul 11, 2003
  10. cookiemonster

iancity

I use the PBJ myself, and found it quite an improvement over some VDH cable I was using. I have been impressed with the difference that IC's make since an audition a couple of years ago. They certainly do make a big difference to the sound that you want, fine tuning your system is a good choice of words.
    I presume the PBJ is part of RA 30 (or is it now 60) day money back gaurantee so you cant really go wrong can you.

iancity, Jul 11, 2003
  11. cookiemonster

penance Arrogant Cock

I got a PM wich i tried to reply to but your inbox was full
    No email or file tho

penance, Jul 12, 2003
  12. cookiemonster

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Cookiemonster-

Preliminary listening to my reclocked RCD-991 suggests that it might deliver some of what you want. Everything is separated out much better and you can follow any thread in the music you choose. Vocals are a little recessed at the moment, but less bad now than last night, so this may just take running in. Further details that were previously hidden are being revealed.

Also, now that I've seen how the player comes apart, I'm going to replace the op amps in the output stage.

I-S, Jul 12, 2003
  13. cookiemonster

Chea Johndle Bizarre Serpent Foomaster

Good man;)

Regards

Chea Johndle, Jul 12, 2003
Ask a Question