Kit to match Pathos TT amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by kmac, Feb 5, 2007.

1. kmac

kmac

I've acquired a Pathos TT amp and was wondering if anyone familiar with this amp had any recommendations as to what speakers and CD source would go well with it?

In terms of speakers I'm looking up £1000 used or new
    CD source will have to be a bit less at around £600 mark

Any advice appreciated.

kmac, Feb 5, 2007
  2. kmac

zanash

rated at 2 x35 watt.....

your not going to drive anything thats got a sensitivity of less than 89db or so ...

you need to tell use what your taste in music are and your listening room size.

I must say that leaving £600 for a cdp may not be the best idea ..the TT is a 3k amp and you want to run it with little more than a budget cdp ...sounds like a recipe for disaster

I can think of only one cdp ...the AAA5 that may get anywhere near to the full potential of the amp.

I'd be looking at the opera reference linear 2.2 as a minimum ....
    http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/consonancelinear/reference.html

then look to find a decent set of speakers with whats left of your budget.

zanash, Feb 5, 2007
  3. kmac

Lautrec

zanash, this is interesting - do you reckon now that AAA5 is better than quad 99 CDP? can you compare these 2 machines?

Lautrec, Feb 5, 2007
  4. kmac

zanash

I have in my sweaty mits both the 99cdp and the AA5 [but my take on the mods] in standard form the AA5 is not great!

the AAA5 is good but came second best to my version in a one to one ...[sorry lesw] not my verdict but the owner of the AAA5..
    bearing in mind that I've not looked at the mother board on mine yet. The AAA5 was fitted with a new set of opamps the same as the aa5z this bought them fairly close. But the AAA5 still use standard dc blocking caps unlike the pio's I've fitted and still lacked some liquidity. [don't know how else to describe it] oh yes and my digital output is still connected.

Mr sukebe has recently heard both units and says the 99 has it on enjoyment ....but I think the AA5z [as I'll call it] has it on clarity....which is a bugger really as the A5 only cost me £35 and £100 worth of bits.

A second hand 99cdp could be a good move but the TT amp deserves better ..he'd have no use for the built in pre either

zanash, Feb 5, 2007
  5. kmac

kmac

In response to Zanash I listen to varied kinds of music but mainly jazz, blues, folk. Vocals feature heavily.

Room is a standard 1930s Laing or Costain terrace with wall broken down to make a through lounge.

So I listen at one end of a long room - about 4.5M by 15M
    (there is an extension as well)

Got the amp s/h so didn't cost anywhere near 3K

kmac, Feb 5, 2007
  6. kmac

Tenson Moderator

Hi!

You heard the modded DEQ2496 at my place when you came to hear the PMCs. I honestly can't think of a better sound for £600. You can use that with a cd transport of your choice and you get room correction thrown in for free! :)

You can borrow my one when I see you on thursday if you like. Just bring it back by Monday or Tuesday.

Tenson, Feb 5, 2007
  7. kmac

zanash

but its still the quality of a 3k amp ?

sounds like some small floorstanders or stand mounts I listened to some nice impulse h2 the other day ... could fit the bill?

zanash, Feb 5, 2007
  8. kmac

zanash

tenson's got a point !

zanash, Feb 5, 2007
  9. kmac

Tenson Moderator

Ahh well, as for speakers, wait for Thursday ;) I might have a little trick up my sleeve!

Tenson, Feb 5, 2007
  10. kmac

kmac

okay will wait for Thursday

I do think that speakers are really what I need more than anything else

I've realsed that they are currently the weakest part of my system (MA Silver 9i)

The Cyrus amp (8vs) didn't sound a million miles away from a Pathos Classic One that I borrowed over the weekend

Replacing the CD player is lowest on my list (CD8x )

kmac, Feb 5, 2007
  11. kmac

DarrenW

The TT is a lovely amp - your music taste will dictate the speaker choice though as it is a relatively low power thing - if you like loud rock, punk or raucous classical you may have to find some very sensitive speakers (like the impulse) Heard a TT with some Quad electrostatics and that sounded very nice if you like folk jazz and classical but not too loud or are a bass monster

Darren

DarrenW, Feb 5, 2007
Ask a Question