KT88's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tim F, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Tim F

Tim F

I'm researching these at the moment. Any comments on which are best price versus performance... most UK retailers seem expensive and I'll be needing 16!
    Cheers, Tim

Tim F, Feb 28, 2007
  2. Tim F

lordsummit moderate mod

It's a nightmare isn't it. I was fancying some fancy glass for my amp, and then discovered how much it would cost, and they were only wee EL84's!
    I believe a lot of people like Svetlana's

lordsummit, Feb 28, 2007
  3. Tim F

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

With 16 I wouldnt be paying over the odds myself... it's only a consumable, like a light-bulb or a record needle... depends on your perspective..

bottleneck, Feb 28, 2007
  4. Tim F

la toilette Downright stupid

I was very happy with Electro Harmonix KT88's in an AVC amp after the originals (svets) needed replacing, cheaper than svetlana's too.

la toilette, Feb 28, 2007
  5. Tim F

Neil

http://www.eurotubes.com are good - quick, cheap postage to UK. I've tried JJ Tesla, Valve Art and Electro Harmonix - I didn't find much between the JJs and the EH - IMO the VAs not quite as good - a bit 'drier' if you know what I mean, If looks are important the JJs can be supplied with blue or red glass........nice!

Neil, Feb 28, 2007
  6. Tim F

RobHolt Moderator

Svet Winged 'C' versions are well regarded. Thick glass and low microphonics. You'll pay a liitle more - probably an extra £10 per tube but you'll get quality.

RobHolt, Feb 28, 2007
  7. Tim F

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

16? Wow, what the hell takes 18 KT88s?

Tony.

TonyL, Mar 1, 2007
  8. Tim F

Robbo

This. Of course, this is the daddy when it comes to maximum use of tubes crazy amp

remember, these are monoblocks!

Robbo, Mar 1, 2007
  9. Tim F

melorib Lowrider

I have been recomended these:

The new Tung-Sol 6550 has been closely constructed to the original specifications of the triple getter, 3-hole plate version.

Tonally, this 6550 tube has a smooth, extended high end, slightly warm midrange with great imaging, and a tight bottom end.

melorib, Mar 1, 2007
  10. Tim F

Dev Moderator

Thanks Neil. I feel very peculiar all of a sudden :D.

Dev, Mar 1, 2007
  11. Tim F

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Crikey. I didn't realise things with so many tubes existed!

Tony.

TonyL, Mar 1, 2007
  12. Tim F

Dev Moderator

I know people often joke about a valve amp being an electric fire moonlighting as an amp but with the Reference 600 consuming up to 1600W (EACH!) it should make central heating redundant for the room.

Neil, have you heard it? If so, what's it like?

Dev, Mar 1, 2007
  13. Tim F

Dev Moderator

I found the opposite. IME the KT88s are warmer and 6550 more detailed and apparently having more grunt.

Dev, Mar 1, 2007
  14. Tim F

hifi addict

I had a pair of refence 600's for couple of months. I left them on standby when I went out for the day. I came back to a suana! I had to open all the doors and windows to let the heat out the room is 30' x 15' with 12' hight ceillings. I used them with a pair of audiostatics. I must say it was the worst sounding system I had. Friends came round to have a gawp but were very dissapointed when they listend to it. We live an learn.

I found a site selling KT88's cheap! http://jbaudiopimp.com/tubesale2006.html

I have never used them but have spoken to them in the past. They have been around for a few years.

hifi addict, Mar 1, 2007
  15. Tim F

hifi addict

But then I use KT88's in My amp and it sounds fantastic. But I would say that.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the plug:rolleyes:

hifi addict, Mar 1, 2007
  16. Tim F

Tim F

Thanks all.

Well my V140's rock but don't leave them on standby!! They're wired in Triode unlike lots of later ARC's.
    One KT90 has gone so I'll be needing a change. Main problem is that my speakers are too big for my room ah well 'tis life.

Tim F, Mar 1, 2007
  17. Tim F

Blue Note

I have Prima Luna Prologue 7 mono blocks. They use four KT88s each. Of the ones I've tried I would agree that the Svet SED winged C are the best. Very rich sound. If you prefer something a little leaner sounding the Chinese Shuguang KT88s are also very good.

As for buying values, it would seem that “rip off Britain†applies. I get my Svets from www.audiotriodes.com in France. Much cheaper than UK suppliers (even with high French VAT) and very good service as well.

Blue Note, Mar 1, 2007
  18. Tim F

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

So what's the difference between kt88s and KT90s?

Uncle Ants, Mar 2, 2007
  19. Tim F

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

I use the same monoblocks, since January. Interested to see your comments about the Svetlana KT88s.

Thanks for the link to the French site. I have just tried that one out. I have been ordering in the small valves (JJ ECC82, ECC83) in batches of three to get under the customs threshold. I've had two lots of three from www.eurotubes.com in the USA that are good on price, better than your link, but the postage is $11. I just ordered another batch of three from your suggestion, postage was 6 €. The comparison of all-in price in my local currency is:
    www.eurotubes.com: 223 NOK
    www.audiotriodes.com: 244 NOK
    In other words, there's very little in it, so I will use the audiotriodes site in future for speed of delivery - thanks.

I have some channel imbalance so I'll be having a session of swapping tonight to see if I can pin down the tube at fault (if any). Mine were supplied with different KT88s (don't remember what) so I will be looking around for eight KT88s soon too, just to try out a different flavour :)

SteveC, Mar 2, 2007
  20. Tim F

Neil

Interesting Shuguang KT 88s are mentioned - the Valve Art tubes I mentioned are the "top pick" of Shuguang valves.
    Another thought - what about dropping in Svetlana 6550C's?

Neil, Mar 2, 2007
Ask a Question