kW550 owners - Leave amp on all the time???

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by SHAXOS, Dec 7, 2009.

1. SHAXOS

SHAXOS

Dear all,
    I have an issue i hope someone can advise me on. I have a kW550 (musical fidelity) and have been turning it on only when i want to listen to it. I thought that this may reduce the possibility of damaging the amp (its got valves). However i have been told that it is better to leave amps on all the time. I understand that if this is done i dont have to wait for it to warm up which is a good thing but would it affect the potential health of the amp (leaving it on all the time)? The kw550 does not really have a standby switch. I can mute it but when looking into the amp the valves start to glow even if im not listening...
    What do other people do? Any Kw550 owners want to share?
    Many thanks in advance

SHAXOS, Dec 7, 2009
  2. SHAXOS

nando nando

i switch mine on when i want to no myths ab out leaving on all the time, switch it on have a cup of tea and relax, close your eyes and soon "WE HAVE LIFT OFF"
    nando.

nando, Dec 9, 2009
  3. SHAXOS

doug2507

If you left a proper valve amp on all of the time you would need a second job to pay for the electricity bill!! Don't think MF would give you the warranty they do if there was an issue turning it on and off. Usually amps are on full tilt after an hour....

doug2507, Dec 10, 2009
  4. SHAXOS

SHAXOS

Cool thanks guys! Will stick to using it as i have been! Hope you are well Nando! Take care!

SHAXOS, Dec 10, 2009
  5. SHAXOS

nando nando

THANKS, yes i am well and getting younger, if you ever have a problem with your m.f. let me know, i am just playing with their new m6i series,
    nando.

nando, Dec 10, 2009
Ask a Question