latest DAC recommendations

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by teaseme, Jul 12, 2008.

1. teaseme

Pete Penrose

incidentally I am after a new dac and my budget is about a hundred pounds.

I am considering the Behringer SRC2496 after reading some positive reviews on it. Is this my best bet for the price?

The other thing is, it must have a volume control on it.

Pete Penrose, Jul 19, 2008
  2. teaseme

Tenson Moderator

Hi again Pete.

The SRC doesn't have a volume control, only a headphone level control.

The DEQ can adjust volume, although it is slightly tricky to use since it is really a gain control for the compressor section. It does work though, and I use it in my second system like this.

Tenson, Jul 19, 2008
  3. teaseme

Pete Penrose

If it doesnt have a volume control on it can i not use the headphone output instead?

or are there any others?

which is better the behringer or the beresford?

Pete Penrose, Jul 19, 2008
  4. teaseme

Tenson Moderator

Hi,

No you can't use the headphone output (unless you mean with headphones ;) ) because it is differnt from a line output for amps.

The Beresford is really nothing special except for the fact it has a volume control. If I were you I would spend more like £200 and get something considerably better though.

This looks very nice to me, especially for the money. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YULONG-DAH1-D...hash=item140250335852&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

Or indeed the DEQ, with room correction too.

Tenson, Jul 19, 2008
  5. teaseme

JANDL100

What version of the Beresford DAC have you had? My fave is the older Mk.3 but a lot of folks rate the latest Mk 6.3 very highly. Might be worth a try - certainly sounds different to the Mk.3!

Some folks who like the MK 6.3 have compared it to the Chord DAC64 and say it comes embarassingly close.

I think the volume control affects both the headphones and the line level outputs to your amp.

Here it is ...
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beresford-TC-...oryZ3272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think Stan B still gives a refund if not happy offer. :)

JANDL100, Jul 27, 2008
  6. teaseme

jerrykan If it moves, punk it

Audio Synthesis DAX Decade

I trialled a few different DAC's and after listening to the Chord 64, a Bel Canto and the MF Tri Vista, I listened to an Audio Synthesis DAX Decade. As a big fan of vinyl, the AS was the only one that gave that sense of air and, after having lived with it for 2 years, I can attest to its low level of listening fatigue inducement. I see Macvisual has one for sale, with the Blackgate mods. This is not a bump for macvisual but I can highly recommend this unit. Also, build quality and overall look and feel of this unit is first class. I use mine with a Trichord modded ( Clock 4 and NS power mod ) TEAC VRDS 25 and absolutely love it.

jerrykan, Jul 28, 2008
Ask a Question