Latest Must Have accessory ...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Uncle Ants, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Uncle Ants

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, Aug 9, 2006
  2. Uncle Ants

andyoz

Has anyone here "in the trade" got any idea of actually how many of these devices they might shift in the UK?

10, 100, 1000?

andyoz, Aug 9, 2006
  3. Uncle Ants

KUB3 ciao

When you've realised it's all pap, try using it as a demagnetising fruit bowl. Remember to report back on the fruitiness.

KUB3, Aug 9, 2006
  4. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

I'm in the trade ... but haven't a clue. I can give you an estimate of how many I'd likely sell If I carried them ... a big fat zero would be my guess. I don't think any of my customers would be daft enough ... but then I'm not what you would call a high end dealer :) Maybe the really high end dealers have more customers like that arf :D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2006
    Uncle Ants, Aug 9, 2006
  5. Uncle Ants

RobHolt Moderator

Can you fry bacon on it?

RobHolt, Aug 9, 2006
  6. Uncle Ants

No but you can demagnetize it, thus breaking down the cholesterol into smaller molecules and making it healthier

Uncle Ants, Aug 9, 2006
  7. Uncle Ants

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Interesting that they mention that it can demagnetise MiniDiscs. Considering MiniDisc technology is effectively magneto-optical, I'd have thought it would screw up the contents of the discs!

nsherin, Aug 9, 2006
  8. Uncle Ants

RobHolt Moderator

Persumably it works better if positioned on a non ferrous platform like Quaraspire or Hutter - interference with the field and all that?

Will it be safe on Sound Org, Target and Ma ....... that other metal one?

RobHolt, Aug 9, 2006
  9. Uncle Ants

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Vinyl IS Magnetised.

Every thing is magnetised. There are more than one type of magnetism.The normal type that everyone thinks of is Ferromagnetism.There is also Paramagnetism. All materials are Diamagnetic.

Diamagnetism is a form that occurs in a substance when a external magnetic field is appiled. The degree of magnetism (magnetic permability & magnetic suseptability) can be very low. If you compare Mumetal with say water, there is a huge difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_permeability

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/tables/magprop.html#c1

If a material is Ferromagnetic or Paramagnetic, it's Diamagnetic properties are over powered.

More details here.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/solids/magpr.html#c1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamagnetism

One thing that can happen with diamagnetic materials is levitation.

Check out the levitation clips.

http://www.hfml.science.ru.nl/froglev.html

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 10, 2006
  10. Uncle Ants

Oookay ;),

Except that my reading of the wiki atrticles on all three types would suggest that vinyl is neither ferromagnetic or paramagnetc, so it must be diamagnetic (as is everything according to the article on diamagnetism).

I'll say right now I'm no physicist, but my reading of that article would suggest that you can't make anything less or more diamagnetic by putting it on an aluminium frisby on legs with a wire coming out of it, as a material's diamagnetism would seem to be a property of the material which can't be altered. So this gadget isn't going to do anything about it.

It would also appear to be a tiny effect next to the other kinds of magnetism. Happy to be told I'm wrong

Uncle Ants, Aug 10, 2006
  11. Uncle Ants

sideshowbob Trisha

Yes, all materials on Earth exhibit at least very low levels of magnetism, and this will still be true even after they have been put through a demagnetiser.

And, of course, we're talking utterly minimal and certainly inaudible in the case of vinyl or CD. They are not "magnetic" in the sense or to the extent that the marketing guff for demagnetisers suggests.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Aug 10, 2006
  12. Uncle Ants

eisenach

... and subjecting a cd to high intensity light doesn't make a difference either, how could it? But it does!
    Shaving off the edges of a disc is just plain stupid because we all know that's just voodoo. But it does.
    As for Auric Illuminator, that's just ... (insert the name of your own favourite cheap chemical) and is only for the terminally brain dead. CDs just give you ones and noughts, so nothing can be done to alter that. Snake oil! Pah! Oh, but it does!
    A couple of days ago at WM's I heard all three of these "treatments", stage by stage, and at each point there was a remarkable difference to the sound proffered by the disc. In total, the disc was utterly transformed. WM treated a disc of mine I know really well. At home, it's like listening to a completely new recording (if not to say "being there at the recording session").
    You wouldn't believe it if you were told about it. Hearing, though, is believing.
    Does this Furutech thing work? Don't know: haven't heard the results, but why not?
    Is it worth the money? That's up to you, but I'll tell you, I'm seriously looking at the credit available on my card, because £600 for the light thingy and £300 for the edge shaver suddenly look like seriously good value for money.

eisenach, Aug 10, 2006
  13. Uncle Ants

titian

It seems that this gadget is really causing you a serious problem otherwise you wouldn't be waisting your precious time on it and trying to find a way to justify your prejudices on it.
    Instead of waisting your time in playing kindergarden, you just could lend that unit from a dealer (collegue of yours) and try it. Then you could make a serious write up in this thread as grown up and serious people usually do. If you don't hear any difference you can then say everything negative about it what comes in your mind. I just wonder if you have prejudices for everything in the Hifi inclusive what you sell. Not really serious for a dealer...

titian, Aug 10, 2006
  14. Uncle Ants

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I have one of these units. it does what it says on the tin

wadia-miester, Aug 10, 2006
  15. Uncle Ants

Beg pardon?? :confused: What did I do to deserve that? Please excuse me for my lack of seriousness :rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with it at all - if people want to buy it then let them. Why do you have a problem with me not taking it seriously? I don't see why you should or why I should take it seriously.

PS. See that winky smiley at the beginning of my earlier post ... y'see that's there to sort of indicate that no I'm not really taking it seriously - its a sort of internet etiquette thing that maybe they don't have in Switzerland. Rude individuals who make insinuations, that's a lot more serious.

Uncle Ants, Aug 10, 2006
  16. Uncle Ants

taz

this is reminiscent of the peter belt stuff from the eighties

taz, Aug 10, 2006
  17. Uncle Ants

mr cat Member of the month

I guess sales must be a bit slow then...:D

mr cat, Aug 10, 2006
  18. Uncle Ants

Paul Ranson

It's easy to show whether vinyl is 'magnetic' and can be 'demagnetised'. Cut the cantilever off an old cart, adjust the arm and arm rest so that the cartridge is running at its normal height from the disc. Look at the output caused by the magnetic field on the disc and label. Demagnetise. Look for the change. Do some maths. A review that doesn't do this yet claims audibility is clearly worthless puffery.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Aug 10, 2006
  19. Uncle Ants

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Mr Cat,
    No I don't retail them sir, but I do use one personally

wadia-miester, Aug 10, 2006
  20. Uncle Ants

KUB3 ciao

You need another hobby to balance things out into perspective, imho. :D

KUB3, Aug 10, 2006
Ask a Question