Lavarden

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Yani, May 11, 2011.

1. Yani

Yani

Hi guys.

Not posted here for ages.

Noticed in a hifi mag of late Midland Audio Exchange had 3 systems of increasing cost. The first used a Lavarden IS Ref amp with a Rega Saturn front end playing through Neat Pet 2. I have a Saturn which I recently purchased and may upgrade the amps soon as well. The Lavarden appears to have the qualities I enjoy most and I am wondering if anyone here has heard it. Does it live up to the hype ?.

I know I would require to demo if serious but I would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers
    Yani

Yani, May 11, 2011
  2. Yani

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Yani,

IME no amplifer ever lives up to the hype.

In general, the vast majority of amplifiers are of very good quality with minimal differences and a small minority are poor.

This doesn't include designs that are deliberately voiced - but to voice an amplifier you must by definition make the technical performance poorer, since the perfect amplifier (from a fidelity to the source perspective) must have no voicing.

RobHolt, May 11, 2011
  3. Yani

Colin2040

I have used one in the past ,firstly its basic in its facilities which doesnt bother me ,I had on loan an IS,an IS reference and an IT. To be honest I liked them all but its down to personal taste.My favourite was actually the cheapest which was the IS I soaw little benefit in the ref or IT . It suited my taste which was very detailed sound but if I remember rightly the Hifi plus mag reviewed it and the IT . Very musical with great clarity but you should always listen first.

Colin2040, May 11, 2011
  4. Yani

vincula

I had a Lavardin IS on loan hooked up to my Audio Note AZ Two and it sounded simply gorgeous: open, clear and dynamic, with no hint of glare and no edges, while being razon sharp at the same time. Just letting the music flow through.

One of those amps that have seriously made me consider going back to solid-state. :D

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, May 11, 2011
  5. Yani

Yani

I mentioned to Midland Audio that the Ref IS was out of reach for me but the IS was within reach (with a stetch that is). The reply came back :-

' I would love to say the IS is nearly as good as the reference, it is definately not.
    The difference is quite remarkable '

So it was interesting reading your comments above that you preferred the cheapest.
    My speakers are Celestion A1 standmounts and are 4 Ohm. I wonder if the amp would still be capable of driving these. Did you have any problems driving your speakers or unlike me were they easy to drive ?.

Yani, May 12, 2011
  6. Yani

Yani

Meant to ask if anyone here is actually using a Lavardin Is or Is ref in their systems at present.

Yani, May 12, 2011
  7. Yani

Colin2040

I used my IS to drive Opera Pavarottis,Swordsman plus,Ruark Epilog,Dalis,I think thats all. I really found no huge difference between them certainly not to justify the price.It was a very good amp and a bit like the other post I used all valve and the IS was kept for some while before it departed.Your based in Scotland why not see if the guys at Audio Emotion cant get you one . They are very good at sourcing things.I am not linked to them in any way by the way just had good service from them.

Colin2040, May 12, 2011
  8. Yani

taz

my best friend has one and loves it, he uses living voice speakers and opus cd player, he went through a box swapping stage trying out quite a few cd players and amps but since he has the lavardin he seems really happy

taz, May 16, 2011
Ask a Question