Lavardin IT

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PMR, Apr 2, 2005.

1. PMR

PMR

Has anyone compared the Lavardin IT against Naim etc.

With thanks

Peter

PMR, Apr 2, 2005
  2. PMR

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Chalk and cheese I would think. I owned an IT for several years and it has a rich organic sound, very natural and quite smooth. It also has superb imaging. I have not heard very much Naim amplification but what I have heard I didn't like very much, finding it dry, even shrill at times, and no imaging to speak of, but that was in different systems.

I cannot imagine that Naim and Lavardin would appeal to the same tastes... the only quality they might share is 'timing' but that's what others have observed, I am not quite sure what the concept of 'timing' means in hifi myself :) .

alanbeeb, Apr 2, 2005
  3. PMR

PMR

alanbeeb

I'm certainly looking forward to hearing the IT soon, but given its new price of £3500, I'm wondering whether a £3000 second-hand alternative would prove a better buying decision?

What did you change your IT for?

PMR, Apr 2, 2005
  4. PMR

£3000 for a second hand one? Crikey!... I've seen them advertised for around £1800-£2000.

I went valve for a while... Graaf. But hot running proved impractical in the end.

What speakers are you using?

alanbeeb, Apr 2, 2005
  5. PMR

PMR

Sorry, I was wondering whether spending £3000 on a second-hand alternative (valve amp or something) would prove better than buying an IT?

Currenlty, I'm using Naim SBL's since selling my Naim system, but was wondering about the Avatar OBX-R's?

PMR, Apr 3, 2005
  6. PMR

cab586

not sure if this will help PMR. i've heard both the IT and the IS ref and preferred the IS ref. not sure why, it just sounded better. LV's strength is it's midrange which is very seductive. they also time well and let a CDP's personality come through (the IS ref really boogied when fed by a densen cdp, for instance). they need careful speaker matching as they are not that powerful. not the last work in bass either.

the moon i-5 is more fun/fast/better bass. the moon is drier and maybe a bit more clinical/open vs. the LV and doesn't quite have the LV's midrange magic. speaking matching is easier though. IMO both LV and moon are bettered by the bel canto integrated. it seems to combine stengths from both...open/fast/fun yet with a subtle tube-like midrange. it really is a v. nice amp. it also comes with a remote!

all these amps are very good. at the end of the day it comes down to system matching and personal preference. i've also heard the naim 202/200 and while they are very good (in the naim sense), they don't hold up against the LV/moon/bel canto IMHO. one wildcard, and an amp that up to recently i had dismissed, is the krell 400xi. give it some time and it may surprise. good luck!

cab586, Apr 3, 2005
  7. PMR

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

pmr

a lot is going to depend on the speakers you intend to get.

belcanto's for example are excellent, but a truly mad choice if you are going to get some high efficiency living voice speakers.

For Living Voice, try Border Patrol. If those are the speakers you are getting (and you dont want to take my word on border patrol) call Kevin at definitive audio. He will give you a short list of amps that work well with them. He's a nice guy. He also makes the speakers.

I imagine reccomendations will include the likes of Canary Audio, Border Patrol, DNM, Lavardin, audionote.

bottleneck, Apr 3, 2005
  8. PMR

jonjin

You can definitely get a good deal second hand on valves but then you must ask yourself if you are ready for the high maintainence (perhaps more fun) etc... the Lavardin on the other hand sounds almost valve-like as you may know plus you won't have to worry about leaving it on, frequent power on and offs etc...

Don't know about the Naim but I'm using the Avatars and in fact with a Canary Audio. It is a very dynamic open speaker. Very transparent and smooth from bass to treble. Bass extension is also very good considering it's rather small footprint. The Avatars are synergistic with Lavardin as well.

JJ

jonjin, Apr 3, 2005
  9. PMR

Fen Dancer Two left feet

I heard a Lavardin setup at the Heathrow show and really liked it. I also went for the Sugden sound as well, so what's the consensus of you bods? Are the two sonically similar, or are my ears as crap as I think?

Fen Dancer, Apr 5, 2005
  10. PMR

I've always thought the Lavardin IT a grown up bigger better Sugden A21.

alanbeeb, Apr 5, 2005
  11. PMR

PMR

Living Voice

I have to be honest, I'm getting rather interested in OBX-R2's and I'm wondering what partnering equipment would work best. Obviously the Lavardin IT would suit, but now I'm wondering about the KSL-Kegon 300B valves as this may prove better?

PMR, Apr 5, 2005
  12. PMR

jonjin

Hallelujah... My dream setup... I always thought those amps were in the 5 digit range though. :p

JJ

jonjin, Apr 5, 2005
  13. PMR

PMR

jonjin

I think you're right!

Oh well, I can start with the speakers and thank my lucky stars I'm not buying Naim anymore.

PMR, Apr 5, 2005
  14. PMR

Paul V

PMR

I've got Border Patrols with OBR-Xs, can recommend them highly. Speak to Kevin at Definitive and go and have a listen to the BPs and the alternatives. He's a lovely man. He often has good secondhand stuff too.

Paul

Paul V, Apr 6, 2005
  15. PMR

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Another vote for the Border Patrol/ living Voice combo. I too own a Border Patrol amp and a pair of Living Voice OBXs. They work very well together. You will enjoy your music on them.

There are plenty other options to go with the Living Voice speakers. The Lavardin amps are a good option. I agree with Jonjin, check out the Canary amps which are very good. I have heard these speakers with a number of amps performing very well. Also look at the DNM range and Audionote range like Bottleneck has mentioned.

Another amp that should work with them is the new Sugden amp at just over £2000. I have heard this at my dealer and it sound very good.

I do echo giving Kevin a ring at Definitive for a demo of your options.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Apr 6, 2005
  16. PMR

Snoopdog

Or there is Tom Evans latest Class A hybrid offering, the Linear A. It looks butt-ugly but should make a nice pairing with the LV's.

Snoopdog, Apr 6, 2005
  17. PMR

PMR

This keeps getting better....

I spoke to Kevin the other day, and have to agree, he's a real gent and I'm looking forward (though a long distance) in making a trip to hear the new OBX-R2's. He mentioned that Art Audio might be a consideration, and I personally like the Carissa Sig, all being dollars convert into pounds nicely.

Any views on the Art Audio range? Also, any views on 3D Sonics Foundation Valve monoblocks reviews in HI-FI Choice May 2005? In fact, what are the best valves under £4000?

I might go amps before speakers, currently using Naim SBL's, but my feeling is that the OBX-R2's are clearly going to make this system work in the end.

Thanks

Peter

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2005
    PMR, Apr 6, 2005
  18. PMR

boy_lah

same bat

In the same boat...ordered my LV OBX-Rs (3rd week and counting) and currently looking into amps.

Consensus is that valve amp works best but ideally need about ~20watts as Kevin's sensitivity raiting is "optimistic". But my room is small (11x13") so i'm hoping i could get a away with quality SET around 8 watts??

Have listened to both the Art Audio Argento/Quintett and Tom Evans Linear A but not at home - both very promising. Expecting to trial the AA Diavolo 300B soon and working on getting a TE Linear A at home. Never tried Lavardin though.

I'm after SET palpability but don't want to comprimise old style tube sound - modern good all round amp with SET qualities.

Any other suggestions welcomed! Any good contacts on Tom Evan kit cheap especially welcomed!! :D

boy_lah, Aug 31, 2005
  19. PMR

Garmt

As we are in the Lavardin IT topic, DEFINITELY try one of them. They a really great! Any one of them is good, but the IT is clearly best.

Garmt, Aug 31, 2005
  20. PMR

Paul V

Boy lah

As already posted, have a listen to Border Patrols. I enjoy a P21 which is about 18 watts I think. Our room is 15 x 12 feet. With a room your size I would have thought even 8 watts with OBX-Rs will be fine.

We went to see Kevin in Long Eaton on the premise of buying a single-ended, 9 watt 300B SE and preferred the push-pull P21. It sounded more muscular than the 300B SE, which suited most of the music we listen to. You do have to shell out for 2 more 300Bs but we thought it worth it. Come back to me if you want to know anything else.

Paul

Paul V, Aug 31, 2005
Ask a Question