Lawless society - The Internet

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Mar 31, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I can't go into any specific details due to legal issues but there is this forum I visit and this kid keeps attacking the site (DDOS) so its often down for hours. They have spent a fortune on trying to keep him out but nohting seems to work.

The mods have written to his ISP and they just basicaly laughed in their faces, the police don't seem to be bothered either.

We all know his name and address as another forum member rather foolishy hacked into his email account and got all his details.

Isn't it about time laws where stepped up to take things like DDOS attacks more seriously? The attacks always happen in the holidays because he isn't stupid enough to carry out the attacks on his JANET connection at university.

amazingtrade, Mar 31, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

smurf him :)

penance, Mar 31, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Something unpleasant in a jiffy bag might work.

I-S, Mar 31, 2005
  4. amazingtrade

Anex Thermionic

Left on fire on his doorstep

Anex, Mar 31, 2005
  5. amazingtrade

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Hum, if you have his email address, sign him up to all the spam and junk newsletters, dodgy sites and flood his email box, that'll be the first, fight fire with fire! Ok 2 wrongs don't make a right, but if the so call authorities will not take action, they your only option is to launch a little attack of your own.

Have the forum ownser taken steps to ban him from the site, they could use a firewall to blcok off this entire isp IP range from the domain, ok this is a drastic measure.

I don't understand why the police or the ISP are not taking this seriously, are the forum hosts going to pesue this through the courts?

lhatkins, Mar 31, 2005
  6. amazingtrade

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

SteveC, Mar 31, 2005
  7. amazingtrade

Paul Ranson

He's breaking the law, the police must be interested. Report it to the Chief Constable and formally complain if he takes no action. You could also consult a solicitor about suing for damages. A formal letter might sting him into action, and if he's a minor his guardians.

BTW 'DDOS' implies he's commiting offences on multiple computers. He may end up having to take 400 other offences into account...

Paul

Paul Ranson, Mar 31, 2005
  8. amazingtrade

This is kind of the problem, he claimed his dad is cheif constable, but our little invesigation prooved this was not the case.

I am not sure how he does it, but as I understand it a spyware script that uses processing power of many PCs to request a file from a website, if you get millions of requests of course the DNS server just goes down. Now in theory if I could find out the IP address of the forum I should be able to access it without the domain name, but nobody else woulds so what would be the point?

I believe the owner of the forum is talking about bypassing the police and taking him to caught. He has admitted it many times on the forum but its a different story what he will say in court and his ISP dosn't want to know.

I have his personal address and had considered sendinga letter to his dad, but I don't want to take the law into my own hands as its not my forum I have no real rights to do so.

9. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

AT
    A smurf attack does the same, it bounces a request ping from one PC off of may I.P.s therefore increasing the amplitude of attck. The machince that is attacked tries to reply to all the requests, it more or less times out itself.

penance, Mar 31, 2005
  10. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

...if you have his address, hit him where it hurts; cut his phone and broadband lines; he'll be out of action for at least 24 hours! Just kidding, but seriously if you have his name and address, a strongly worded letter from a solicitor including threats of an ASBO might work (can you use ASBOs to prevent computer misuse?)

domfjbrown, Mar 31, 2005
  11. amazingtrade

auric FOSS

I am sure that if this happened in the USA then a mega attack of diarrhea induced by the threat to use the patriot act against him for his attack on a the site will I think keep him off the computer for quite sometime :D

auric, Mar 31, 2005
  12. amazingtrade

If he lived in Manchester I would go there myself and teach him a lesson, I will send send my army of gansgsta's (I wish).

The sites still down so his attack has been for at least 7 hours so far today, providing the site is currently being attacked and its not just another DNS change to try and stop him.

I think if he does get done an ABSO might be want is needed, somthing banning him from using the a computer. The only problem is he is studying internet and networking at university.

13. amazingtrade

Ok, I admin my first reply was a bit off the cuff, but these people make me mad as hell!

I ran a forum where a member threattened other users with violience, so I banned him, he then sent similar emails direct to me, I took them to my solicator who (for a fee of course!) wrote him a letter, worded like if he continued the matter would be taken up by the police (it wasn't hard getting his details, the plank gave his details in his profile and he was also locally known) and the emails stopped.

Surely he's in breach of The computer missue act, so he's breaking the law, full stop, the forum owner should report it, get a log of the report and if no act is taken, file a complaint and take it further. He's using more than 1 machine, it'll be without the ownser knowledge, this is a very serious crime!

lhatkins, Mar 31, 2005
  14. amazingtrade

The sites still down, this site incendently is one of the large forums in the universe with over 30,000 members. Yet this little control freak thinks he can spoil it all.

15. amazingtrade

julian2002 Muper Soderator

j0O R /\|| ]u5T ]E||0|_|5 o\/ |¬|i5 1337 |¬|/\[kI|\|g 5kiLzorZ

julian2002, Mar 31, 2005
  16. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

Fj334

penance, Apr 1, 2005
  17. amazingtrade

Hey and here's proof (as if we needed it) that even is this sort of scum are caught, justice just isn't done. article from Betanews soft on crime, soft on the causes of crime, bah bah. so maybe re-read my first post!

lhatkins, Apr 1, 2005
Ask a Question