Leave it on or switch it off - valve kit?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by NOS-4-A2, Oct 20, 2003.

1. NOS-4-A2

NOS-4-A2 Creature of the night

I normally leave my solid state kit - pre/power, CD, DAC on all of the time as, particularly the power amp, takes ages (4-6 hrs) to warm up and come on song.

However, I'm not sure what to do with valve kit - do I leave it on all the time and live with reduced valve life or do I switch off? If I switch it off, how long does it take to reach operating temperature ir is this valve/equipment dependent?

NOS-4-A2, Oct 20, 2003
  2. NOS-4-A2

Darren

valve kit does warm up quickly - I switch mine on around 20 mins before listening and it's around 85% there by this time. Don't leave valve power amps on all the time as you will cut through output tubes like stink. My Audionote Dac 1.1x is left on all the time as it's tubes produce little heat and are easy to replace.

Darren

Darren, Oct 20, 2003
  3. NOS-4-A2

Lt Cdr Data om

second that....output valves are far too costly to leave on all the time..

interesting you have a dac 1.1 I have one too,:) and I am in st annes!! yes that st annes...I want to get the 1.2psu....how do you find the 1.1?

Lt Cdr Data, Oct 20, 2003
  4. NOS-4-A2

Thanks for that. So you would suggest that leaving my MF X-Can on all the time is OK but a power amp is not. How about pre amps? (As you can see I'm new to this valve lark)

NOS-4-A2, Oct 20, 2003
  5. NOS-4-A2

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Just on a safety level, I wouldnt be leaving any valve equipment on .. while I went away for a 3 day break for example.

You might come back to molten glass and fire engines ! (unlikely but too possible for my liking)

If I want to listen on and off all day, I'll leave it turned on - more because turning valves on/off shortens their life than any other reason.

I tend to listen to my kit even from cold (its all valve) and it sounds fine. After about 10 minutes things are cooking nicely.

Have you got some new valve stuff Tom? - arent you worried about the kids, or does it have safety cages?

bottleneck, Oct 20, 2003
  6. NOS-4-A2

Chris - the kids have got to learn not to touch the stuff, right?

More seriously, I'm looking for something to go in my study and thought a valve power amp might be nice as I won't be playing it loud. No problems with the heat as I'll put it on a wall bracket. I'll probably get a set of speakers more suitable for the small room and use the Passion pre-amp, Arcam CD and my trusty VPI TT.

NOS-4-A2, Oct 20, 2003
  7. NOS-4-A2

hiya

you'll need to make sure that the pwr amp is suitable for a passive pre then. My valve pwr doesnt like them very much. Either that or I dont like them very much... I havent figured out which yet!!!

Knowing where you live, did you know W.A.D are based in newport pagnell? - they have a smallish demo room above the shop whereby you can dem their valve kits. You could take your speakers along to see what you think.
    http://www.worldaudiodesign.co.uk/

Have a look at the KEL 84. It should be plenty for a little room like that one, and its integrated too so you could flog the pre to finance it ! (only £250 in kit form).

NB he builds for you for about £150 more if you dont like the idea of making it.

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Oct 20, 2003
  8. NOS-4-A2

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

if ya build something yerself its easy to incorpirate a stand by setting,keeps the tubes warm but not enough to shorten there life too much, if the gears not going to be used for a few days its turned off,just in case

themadhippy, Oct 20, 2003
  9. NOS-4-A2

condyk

The Norh SE 9 would be perfect for your study. Looks great, reliable, beautifully musical. Cost $395 plus import duty and VAT. Mine worked out at a tad over £300 door to door. Arrived within 3 days. Highly recommended. Order online via norh.com

Dave

condyk, Oct 20, 2003
  10. NOS-4-A2

I started looking at the valve route when I heard a pair of Cary 805C driving a apir of Tanoy Dimension 12's. Simpley lovely. Unfortunately out of my price range.

Although building something sounds like fun, I have to be realistic and with two small kids I'm just not finding the time. So, I will have to go for either a second hand amp or a new one. I must admit that the n0rh SE9 sounds tempting, maybe along with a pair of their speakers but there's no opportunity to audition ond very little guarantee of resale price if I don't like the sound.

Alternatively, I could go for a second hand integrated valve amp of known pedigree and thus reasonable resale value.

Or I could try my trusty Audio Synthesis Passion passive pre with a valve power amp and hope for the best...

NOS-4-A2, Oct 20, 2003
  11. NOS-4-A2

wolfgang

To make the best cup of tea it is better to collect water which has been running from the tap for a while. Now water is very much cheaper then electricity.

From now on I am going to let the water running from the tap continuously night and day. We never turn of the electricity in our HIFI equipment so why should we turn off the water tap?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2003
    wolfgang, Oct 20, 2003
  12. NOS-4-A2

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

You'll be pleased to hear I'm using a passive pre with my Lumley monoblocks -- though it is a Lumley one. Sounds brilliant when it's working, with no impedance problems AFAIK..
    And I leave my amps on all day if I'm listening on and off, but always switch off at the end of the day. It's still a palaver, mind, as it's 20minutes warm-up before even switching main power on, with 20 mins warm down before standby off.

leonard smalls, Oct 21, 2003
  13. NOS-4-A2

Another good DIY valve company is DIYhifisupply. More difficult to hear this before you buy though... as I mentioned before, both will build for you for an extra £150 or so. A great value way of getting an amp.

Secondhand valve amp? can be a good idea too. Need to budget for a complete overhaul and a new set up tubes (probably).

NB Most of the WAD amps are ok with a passive pre, Im sure Nick there could tell you either way...

Difficulty with the Norh one (aswell as the DIYHifisupply) is hearing it first of course ...

second hand valve amps... Since you're in Peterborough - why not check out the trading station? (second hand outlet for K J West One stock)

Chris

bottleneck, Oct 21, 2003
  14. NOS-4-A2

wolfgang

Leonard,

I wonder why when I claimed I do not turn off the water tap everyone think I am only joking.

If we think it is OK to waste electricity then why do we have a different attitude to water? Cost is not the issue since the later is cheaper. If some HIFI do actually takes a few hours to come on song why should anyone think it is still a good product?

wolfgang, Oct 22, 2003
  15. NOS-4-A2

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

I actually turn the amps on to standyby - i.e heaters only on- if I'm not using them at the time but intend to shortly... I always switch them completely off overnight...
    And as for the lack of ease of listening to hifi with the warm up/warm down rigmarole, I ride a 30 year old mosickle and drive a 25 year old Land Rover.. There's no logic to it apart from in a what doesn't kill you makes you stronger sort of a way!

leonard smalls, Oct 22, 2003
Ask a Question