Legal advice required-mobile phones

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Saab, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Saab

Saab

I've ordered an N70 from Vodafone as a free upgrade now that my contract has come to an end.

I've been told they will have stripped out a load of features,maybe thats how they get them chepaer,I dunno.

Can I reject it on these grounds?

Saab, Nov 26, 2005
  2. Saab

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

have you already signed a contract?

If you have, then you are now tied in for a further 12 months regardless of whether you like the phone or not.

If you've just received the handset and dont like it, I would contact your service provider/shop immediately. Most companies will exchange equipment within 14 days of shipping if its in a new and boxed condition.

If you're out of 14 days then its very unlikely that you will be able to swap the product.

If you did this in a shop (and you are out of 14 days), then you may want to contact them anyway. Many stores over x-mas extend the 14 day return period because they know many people are buying things for x-mas presents. CPW for example used to extend the 14 day return on products bought in the last week of x-mas right up until the beginning of January.

You always have the customer care departments to escalate your problem to if necessary.

good luck

bottleneck, Nov 26, 2005
  3. Saab

kennyk thecrossovernetwork.com

you should be able to reject it under distance selling regulations in regard to cooling-off period I would imagine.

best of luck

kennyk, Nov 26, 2005
  4. Saab

Saab

cheers

I'm getting it Monday,and if its stripped of any functions I will reject.Its a free upgrade on my contract,i assume they will send a new one for me to sign

Saab, Nov 26, 2005
  5. Saab

michaelab desafinado

Out of the main providers Vodafone are by far the worst at barstadizing (branding) the phones they provide. They have completely Vodafone specific firmware versions that rip out features and even things like free games and ringtones that normally come pre-installed on the phone....so that you pay to buy them from Vodafone :mad: . However, you can normally insist they provide you with an un-branded version of the handset. They'll try and bull**** you that there's none available - threaten to switch providers and they'll soon "remember" where they are ;)

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 26, 2005
  6. Saab

Saab

I will have to check everything over Monday and try and find some things that aren't in so i can reject it

Saab, Nov 26, 2005
  7. Saab

dunkyboy

Definitely try Michael's suggestion - you tend to get a whole new level of service when you threaten to churn to a different network...

Dunc

dunkyboy, Nov 26, 2005
  8. Saab

Steven Toy

Oh dear. I hope Orange don't do that with mine arriving on Tuesday. They are only giving me a 7-day trial too. My contract is only 6 months in too, so I guess there maybe a catch...

Steven Toy, Nov 27, 2005
  9. Saab

Saab

Apparently,they all do it,VF being the worst offenders and 3 being the best,or so the US forums tell me.Its usually the MP3 ringtone facility that is turned off so you have to buy ringtones off them.

Saab, Nov 27, 2005
  10. Saab

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Vodafone will give you 14 days to return it, it does not effect your rights.

They should tell you this over the phone. Regarding contracts I have not signed one since I started 6 years ago with them, in other words be carefull with the phone. As I understood it acceptance of the phone is you contract.

garyi, Nov 27, 2005
  11. Saab

Saab

so if they said nothing to me over the phone when i ordered it i will be able to reject it

Saab, Nov 27, 2005
  12. Saab

Steven Toy

14 days if it is end of contract/start of a new one - that's your statutory right.

I've got 7 days because, strangely, Orange have offered me the phone FOC mid-contract.

Steven Toy, Nov 28, 2005
  13. Saab

greg Its a G thing

Whilst I dont like the idea of the handset being bastardised by the provider I'm not sure how much I would miss a few ringtones or free games. Is there anything else they might remove which would be a real loss of function?

greg, Nov 28, 2005
  14. Saab

greg Its a G thing

That's my understanding too

greg, Nov 28, 2005
  15. Saab

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Ringtones are for chavs. So long as you don't get stuck with only the default Nokia ringtone, who cares???

On Orange though - how do they stack up? My Samsung's starting to get flakey (it's the second one I have had of the E800, and the power button's starting to get dickier) and the Orange reception is often flakey. I'm seriously considering either going back to prepay on any network, or swapping providers come next February.

domfjbrown, Nov 28, 2005
  16. Saab

Saab

I care about being forced to stare at a sodding Vodafone Logo all the time on the home page,but as it happens it seems most of what they ahve done is reversible if you dig deep enough in the menus.

The phone is rock solid,but i'm having probems getting bluetooth going on my lappy

Saab, Nov 28, 2005
  17. Saab

greg Its a G thing

I had issues with the Nokia Sync software - getting the Bluetooth connection to stay connected. It's sorted now though. What problems are you having?

greg, Nov 28, 2005
  18. Saab

michaelab desafinado

Well, on the K750i Vodafone replace the central button above the joystick to be a shortcut to their Vodafone Live! service instead of bringing up "My Shortcuts" which is a very useful feature. They also change the firmware so you couldn't use MP3 ringtones....unless they were ones you'd bought and downloaded from Vodafone Live! of course :mad: .

Other than that they mess about with the menu structure and plaster the Vodafone logo and colour scheme all over the place.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 1, 2005
  19. Saab

Saab

Its my lappy I think,SP2 has Bluetooth built in and I think its clashing with the DEll software that was pre-installed,so its not the phone i think.The phone connects perfectly with the headset they gave me and a lad at work found my phone at work and downloaded a stupid ET blowjob vid onto it without me knowing,so at least i know it works.

I have found a great Pink Floyd theme btw,really looks good if you are into chavving the phone up

clicky

Saab, Dec 1, 2005
  20. Saab

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i used to have loads of trouble synching my r380 and p800's, my previous nokia 5140 never synched properly however the spv i have now is great - just plug it in via usb and away it goes - it even charges up at the same time.

julian2002, Dec 1, 2005
Ask a Question