Less is more?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tackleberry, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Tackleberry

Advice please!
    Been toying with the idea of selling my MF A3.2, pre, power+power for a higher quality intergrated amp such as the Krell kav400i, does anyone have any advice?

Tackleberry, Jan 24, 2010
  2. Tackleberry

Colin2040

I recently took the plunge and decided that "less is more" and replaced my pre power with an integrated and to be honest havent looked back. Auditioned lots of integrateds but ultimately it was the Luxman or Accuphase and went for the Luxman. I cant say I miss the seperates, dont have the issue of which bit to upgrade or whats the best connecting cable.

Colin2040, Jan 24, 2010
  3. Tackleberry

nando nando

try to audition the M6I by mf. be very afraid,
    nando.

nando, Jan 24, 2010
  4. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Tackleberry

power concearns

Thanks. My main concearns were the power output of what i decide on. I have homebrew speakers that consist of: seas excel w22,s x2, atc mid and scanspeak 950000 treb, outboard cross with hovland caps. Not exactly shy speakers. with regards to the new mf gear, have always had my reservations about their decision to take their production overseas, could be narrow of me but you hear so much bad press about other companies?

5. Tackleberry

Colin2040

Luxman has plenty of grunt and hasnt come up shy yet , I havent owned MF amps but do have an MF cd and dac.The ME amps I have heard I didnt like other than a power amp some time ago I think it was with a MF 22? pre or it was a 22 itself but that was 15 years ago. I can vouch for Nando as a dealer though pleasure to deal with.

Colin2040, Jan 24, 2010
  6. Tackleberry

Colin2040

F16 that was the amp

Colin2040, Jan 24, 2010
  7. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Tackleberry

Re

thanks. Other dilema is selling the pre and power x2 and my original audiolab q and p thats doing nothing in the spare room! finances a little too tight for another weighout!

8. Tackleberry

Colin2040

I think the starting point is auditioning amps and find what you like first,what you like may not be as expensive as you think . Another very good integrated is the LSA and I have had Copland which Iliked.Once you have decided the route to go then sell your stuff.Jordan Acoustics have an LSA for sale £1295 and I have seen them cheaper. Its a lot of amp for the money.

Colin2040, Jan 24, 2010
  9. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Tackleberry

A pal of mine had a copland, was quite impressed with it at the time. Been off of the hifi thing for a few years, not really had the time to sit and listen, and a little out of touch with anything newer than the kit i have.
    Living on the outskirts of leeds not even sure which dealers are still around this area, when i purchased from sevenoaks at the time, the manager did'nt even know about the gear a was buying from him, more to the point, did'nt seem to care!

10. Tackleberry

RobHolt Moderator

What is the current amplifier doing (or not doing) that makes you want to change?

What are you looking for in the new amplifier?

RobHolt, Jan 24, 2010
  11. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Tackleberry

re

Ah, well..nothing really! not exactly a tech god but always wondered about the simplicity of a higher quality integrated (understandably less isolation in one box and compromise for space for electronics) as opposed to multi signal path set up consisting of three amps? not heard an integrated around 2-3 k mark for years.
    recently read the lavardin and bel canto article in hifi choice and the change just got me thinking.....

Tackleberry, Jan 25, 2010
  12. Tackleberry

Colin2040

Must admit I liked the Lavardin, tried some class d amps when I was looking for an integrated and was disappointed which was a shame because I had high expectations.

Colin2040, Jan 25, 2010
Ask a Question