Let It Be.. Naked!

Discussion in 'General Music' started by MO!, Nov 23, 2003.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I'm ordering this as an xmas present, and just noticed the price on vinyl! £41.99!!!

HERE

MO!, Nov 23, 2003
  2. MO!

sideshowbob Trisha

It's about 17 quid. Beautiful pressing too. That looks like a Japanese import.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 23, 2003
  3. MO!

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Yep - £16.99 in HMV - which as we all know is the biggest ripoff on the high street, now that Our Price has disappeared (I was really gutted about that - not!).

domfjbrown, Nov 24, 2003
  4. MO!

Goomer

Am I right in thinking that this 'Let it be...naked' is sourced from a digital master? I'm not sure whether I'd spend over and above the cost of the CD if that's the case.

Goomer, Nov 24, 2003
  5. MO!

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

So, we've established it's on vinyl, a bit pricey perhaps, but a good pressing. What about the music itself? Is it an improvement on the original?

Think it was £15-20 in FOPP in Bristol when I looked on Saturday.

ilockyer, Nov 24, 2003
  6. MO!

sideshowbob Trisha

It's sourced from original tapes (not necessarily the takes used on the original album, btw), and cleaned up using Pro Tools. The LP boogies better than the CD (I have both), but both sound great, real life and energy in the recordings.

Is it an improvement on the original? That depends on your POV. Across The Universe is much better without the saccharine accompaniment, but nothing can rescue The Long And Winding Road (it's a crap song, plain and simple), and Harrison's My Me Mine is still whinging tosh of the worst kind. I'm not entirely convinced by attempts to "fix" iconic albums, but if you treat it as an alternative version rather than an improved one, it stands on its own two feet. Essential for anyone who likes the Beatles I think.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 24, 2003
  7. MO!

The Devil IHTFP

I like the Beatles, but their albums contain an awful lot of 'filler'. Except Sgt Pepper which is their best by a mile in my opinion.

The Devil, Nov 24, 2003
  8. MO!

sideshowbob Trisha

No Bub, you is wrong. Everyone knows Revolver is the best, followed by Rubber Soul, and then the white album and Abbey Road. This ordering is a legal requirement.

-- Ian *

* A bit of a Beatle obsessive in his youth, but I got better, honest

sideshowbob, Nov 24, 2003
  9. MO!

The Devil IHTFP

Ha ha! Hi Ian, yes I know that's the legal position and I am sick & wrong. Sgt P is the only album I can play all the way through without wanting to skip over some of their totally dire filler tracks.

Otherwise it's 'Best of' for me, and I truly-wuly love the Beatles.

Out on a limb agin.

Regards,

James

The Devil, Nov 24, 2003
  10. MO!

penance Arrogant Cock

shock horror

im with james on this one:yikes:

;)

penance, Nov 24, 2003
  11. MO!

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

...So you guys go for the double-mozarella "been here done this at least ONE album before" album over the others then? Man, "Tomorrow never knows" has more technology and artistry in the first bar than the whole of Pepper put together...

That said, I like Pepper, and my (yuk) digital mastered LP (given as a present) still pees all over the CD I have.

Revolver is without question their best work though. Let that be an end to it!! ;) He he he...

They used Pro Tools on "Let it be - Naked" and it still sounds like music? What gives? I'm in shock!!!!

BTW - is this a "Corrupted Data - Derisable Audio" CD or a proper non-copy protected one? Just wandering, as if it IS copy protected, the digital reduced versions Windows Media Player on the works PC was playing are bloody well encoded...

I wish they'd left that alternative take of "Get back", with Lennon's immortal "Sweet Loretta Fart she she thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan" on the album - at least on the 2nd disc - that would rule!!!!

domfjbrown, Nov 25, 2003
Ask a Question