Let it be - Naked

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Uncle Ants, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Anyone heard this yet? I'm in two minds about it.

On the one hand it seems a bit like another Macca attempt to rewrite history and a cynical marketing exercise. The recent TV ads stated something like "Hear it as the band intended!!", and I thought :eek: I couldn't believe my ears.

On the other hand, despite being a huge fan of the fabs, I always thought Let it Be was a stinker and haven't listened to it in years. When this was released, I thought I'd go revisit my old copy of Let it Be, just to see if it really did stink ... and it does :rolleyes:

I've been reading some of the reviews and several of them have said (cynical aspects aside), that this new version finally makes it a worthwhile listen. So I was just wondering if any has heard it and had any views.

Uncle Ants, Dec 12, 2003
  2. Uncle Ants

michaelab desafinado

See this thread which has, believe it or not, exactly the same title as this one :rolleyes:

Top tip for you: second button on the top right of the page, "search" it's called. Does what it says on the tin ;)

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 12, 2003
  3. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Oooops. Sorry mate. :( Didn't realise it was there (the thread, not the search).

Still only sideshow bob on that thread actually seems to have heard it and formed a view. The rest seemed to include a discussion of the pros and cons of pro tools and digital transfers and then an argument about whether Revolver, Rubber Soul or Pepper was best.

Anyone who reads this and has actually heard it can now post to this thread or that thread ;). I just wanna know what its like musically:)

PS. It's Revolver as any fool knows :rolleyes:

Uncle Ants, Dec 12, 2003
  4. Uncle Ants

michaelab desafinado

Sorry - didn't mean to sound so cocky :)

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 12, 2003
  5. Uncle Ants

sideshowbob Trisha

Ants - you should buy it. And you're right, it's Revolver. :)

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Dec 12, 2003
  6. Uncle Ants

MO! MOnkey`ead!

got it here but not got round to listening yet :rolleyes:

Mike, do you ever use the search option? Does anyone? I think the only time i've ever used it is when trying to find a thread I know exists but can't find.

Have you got any stat's on search useage?

MO!, Dec 12, 2003
  7. Uncle Ants

michaelab desafinado

I only use the search option like you to find a thread I know exists but can't find but then you and me probably know what's on the forum and what isn't :)

On forums I don't know so well I'll usually search for what I'm looking for first or at least page back a couple of pages to see if it's been mentioned recently.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 12, 2003
  8. Uncle Ants

HenryT

Just heard this album all the way through this evening (it's on loan to me but I'm going to buy myself a copy next week)...

Not listened to the original version in ages or that many times for that matter, a copy of which I have on LP, but the "Blue" album is a fave Fab 4 album that has gotten a lot of play in the past, so I'm familiar with the original versions of the tracks which are common to both.

It's certainly very interesting and quite a refreshing experience listening to the new versions for the first time of the old tracks that you'd become so acustomed to over the years. The new versions on the "Naked" album are quite obviously different or alternative takes, as well as clearly being mixed differently. Some of the new/alternative takes are definitely better IMO, with say more interesting solos/middle-eigths, etc, compared to the originals. I always enjoy listening to alternative takes, which in some cases can turn out to be better, take the 3 Anthology albums for example - some interesting alternative (out)takes there for example.

The sound is very clean compared to the original. Some might call it sterile due to the lack of hash and extraneous background noise and hiss, but it seems fresher in a lot of ways to me. Less compressed, over recorded and mushy than the original sound, it's a bit like what I'd imagine it being like listening to the original multi-track session tapes played back through the mixing desk in the studio, rather than a 5th generation stereo master with compression/limiting and other garbage added.

Musically then, I'd say an interesting companion to the original.

FWIW, Rubber Soul is my fave Beatles album. Never been able to get (into) The White Album, but then I'm not really a fan of most psychadelic influenced music - probably because I don't partake in the recreational substances which it would seem you need to appreciate most of this type of music, IMO. :rolleyes:

HenryT, Dec 13, 2003
Ask a Question