Levinson DAC

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amir, Dec 4, 2004.

1. amir

amir

Do you know why no.390s output DAC for 24bit/192kz data have some harmonics?
    see stereophile review :

The top pair of traces in fig.2 shows a spectral analysis of the No.390S's left and right outputs while it decoded CD data representing a dithered 1kHz tone at -90dBFS. The spectrum peaks at exactly -90dB, implying excellent linearity, while the noise floorâ€â€almost entirely due to the recorded ditherâ€â€is free from power-supply- or distortion-related spuriae. However, I also drove the No.390S's data input with 24-bit data representing the same signal; the result is shown in the lower pair of traces in fig.2. Usually, the increase in bit depth drops the noise floor, revealing the component's true resolution. This is true for the part of the spectrum below the signal frequency, where the noise floor drops by 9dB or so, implying DAC performance close to 18 bits. But above the 1kHz signal frequency, peaks appear at 3kHz, 5kHz, 9kHz, 15kHz, and 18kHz. The only possible interpretation of these odd-order distortion components is that the No.390S truncates external data to 16 bits.
    [​IMG]

Fig.2 Mark Levinson No.390S, 1/3-octave spectrum of dithered 1kHz tone at -90dBFS, with noise and spuriae, 16-bit CD data (top) and external 24-bit data (bottom). (Right channel dashed.)

amir, Dec 4, 2004
  2. amir

merlin

Amir,

unless you are the kind of guy who likes nothing more than trying to mark the position of a violinist with a laser pointer, the Levinson will bore the pants off you IMO. You are buying a name, not a product.

Just get a Marantz and be happy enjoying music :D I have ;)

merlin, Dec 4, 2004
  3. amir

oedipus

If it isn't immediately obvious now, you've a lot of DSP to learn. :)

oedipus, Dec 5, 2004
  4. amir

amir

dear merlin
    i did not listened to marantz, which model you have?
    i listened levinson. if my mind don't tell me worth it's sonic was state of art in digital players. super neutrality, exceptional extended bandwiths and so smooth high.
    i compared it with krell SACD standard and i think levinson mid/high is like analog not digital. for my system that have krell amp and dynaudio speaker i should try darker and sweeter sound like levinson.

amir, Dec 5, 2004
  5. amir

Chea Johndle Bizarre Serpent Foomaster

dear merlin.... i love you too much

Chea Johndle, Dec 5, 2004
  6. amir

Chea Johndle Bizarre Serpent Foomaster

:p :p :p :p

:D :D

Regards

Chea Johndle, Dec 5, 2004
  7. amir

amir

{Chea Johndle dear merlin.... i love you too much }

This is hifi forum not love story forum mr.Chea Johndle

amir, Dec 6, 2004
  8. amir

merlin

I think John's been inhaling those fumes again ;)

But on a serious note Amir, if you have a place in your heart for love and romance, remove Mark Levinson from your wishlist and let your emotions run free!

merlin, Dec 6, 2004
  9. amir

amir

hi merlin
    why you don't like mark levinson?
    is there any problem?!
    you say " The only source of knowledge is experience" and i listened to mark levinson, it's superb in cd playback.

amir, Dec 7, 2004
  10. amir

merlin

Amir,

it's simply a case of us all listening for different things. Clearly what you consider superb I consider average at best. In much the same way that I find Meridian CD players dull and uninteresting, I just don't get into the music with Levinson gear.

What I do is focus on the soundstage depth, the ambient retrieval, and other peripherals. That's not for me I'm afraid. Been there, done that. let's just say the 390s appeals to the head rather than the heart - and for me, music is an emotional experience.

merlin, Dec 7, 2004
  11. amir

amir

i agree you

amir, Dec 7, 2004
Ask a Question