lifestyle changes

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by griffo104, Aug 23, 2005.

1. griffo104

griffo104

Currently sat at work waiting to do a launch and a bit bored.

I've been working in IT since I left school at 18 and now 34 feel like I'm going nowhere.

As so much of our work is being shipped out to India and that at some point in the near future I won't have a job - been trying for a couple of years to find another job in IT elsewhere with no success - I'm sat here waiting for the inevitable.

So, with this in mind, a couple of us have been thinking of changing lifestyles/careers totally. Problem for me is that IT is all I know.

Anyone out there decided to take the jump and totally change their jobs/lifestyles ?

I'm pretty sure, deep down, I'm only doing this job to fund records/beer/dvd habits.

griffo104, Aug 23, 2005
  2. griffo104

mr cat Member of the month

tell me about it...if you find an answer, do tell!

mr cat, Aug 23, 2005
  3. griffo104

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Yep, I'd like to know as well...

Apparently the most depressed working people are late twenties / early thirties males working in IT. Must be something to do with the increasingly dumbed down tasks, poor wages and working conditions, being used as handy scapegoats by irate users, and working for complete and utter toss wad managers :mad:

PBirkett, Aug 23, 2005
  4. griffo104

griffo104

Congrats, you have just summed up my working life.

In work until about 20:30 tonight, 30 mins back to the flat, find out the Villa have lost away from home - again, and have leftover pizza to have for my evening meal.

Life in the fast lane.

griffo104, Aug 23, 2005
  5. griffo104

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Not that I am pee'd off tonight, you understand ;)

PBirkett, Aug 23, 2005
  6. griffo104

Graham C

Hang on in there for another year lads. Things might get more exciting when the oil supply peaks [soon], housing crashes, the tundra melts [tuna melts mmmm..] and the gulf stream stops warming the UK...

Until then, keep getting hammered and kicking off every Friday!

Graham C, Aug 23, 2005
  7. griffo104

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

There comes a time when you realise that work is just to keep you living.

I felt like you do now about catering five years ago.

Nowerdays I am more interested in getting home to my wife. Work just allows me to live.

I am not saying don't aim for anything, in my business I am trying to get as far as I can. But if any one of us breaks our jobs down into its component parts then all jobs are shit.

The only cavet I can think of is doing something for the benefit of all man kind. But consider if you were finding a cure for cancer but you knew it was unlikely you would be alive to see any benefits?

All jobs are shit!

However if work is getting you down, I really would suggest you look for another job in the field you know about. Its important that you can bare to work a day!

garyi, Aug 23, 2005
  8. griffo104

julian2002 Muper Soderator

must say, i work in IT and love my job - i went self employed a year or so ago and haven;t looked back. no the money isn;t as good but if i want to i can blow off the day to do something cool with my daughter, sit in the sun and work on my laptop or sleep late and work in the evening.

julian2002, Aug 23, 2005
  9. griffo104

ats

Post your CV on monster.co.uk & the like & register with some agencies. reed.co.uk/it is a really good website that hosts lots of other agency roles as well as its own. Failing that there's always Burger king.....

ats, Aug 23, 2005
  10. griffo104

Heavymental

Start a Fight Club.

Heavymental, Aug 23, 2005
  11. griffo104

Philip King Enlightened User

move abroad ans start again, everywhere is cheaper than the UK, the challenge of a new language is stimulating and continue to work in IT. You'd be amazed at the different life styles available to you!

Philip King, Aug 24, 2005
  12. griffo104

Mark67

Been there, done that.
    My job went to Poland about 3 years ago, I was in engineering tho, I had worked @ the Company for 15 Years and loved it.

I was well bitter about the situation and then when I went to sign on I only got 6 months dole money. After putting in to the system for 15 years. Yet an Asylum seeker is entitled to Income Support while thier claim is being processed, which could be up to 2 years. Thats Sucks Big Time.

Don't bother looking fot another job in the UK, try another Country. The long term prospects maybe better than here in the UK.

I wish u well.

I did eventually find a job, funnily enough in I.T, how ironic is that :confused:

Mark67, Aug 24, 2005
  13. griffo104

griffo104

My CV is on about 3 IT related jobsites, got a phone call yesterday regarding a job but for Fortran which I haven't done in nearly 10 years.

I've been trying to find a new job for nearly 3 years - 2 interviews in that time, one of which was 3 hours of tests for what was working for an obviously right wing company and so didn't sit very well with a big leftie like myself.

I used to love my job, I've been a programmer since I was 18, but the corporate world is changing, and not for the better IMO.

As for leaving the country - I HAVE to live in a country which has warm, flat beer, pork scratchings, brown source and Aston Villa. these things are essential, although frustrating sometimes.

I've been looking at ditching the job, hopefully hang out for redundancy, heading back home and would like to do some volunteer or charity work - I don't need the money so could work for not a lot of money.

griffo104, Aug 24, 2005
  14. griffo104

griffo104

Now I do like that idea.

griffo104, Aug 24, 2005
  15. griffo104

kennyk thecrossovernetwork.com

why not see if you can get into a job that encompasses a hobby? if you're fed up with IT then it's possible to use those skills elsewhere.

Starting your own business is another way to get out of the humdrum. you do need a lot of discipline to be your own boss, but it is rewarding. speak to your local business gateway for advice on that. That's what I did and have been running a business for over 3 years.

Previously I worked for a labelling company, then a bespoke test equipment firm who supplied a Mobile phone manufacturer beginning with 'M' and I got made redundand over 4 years ago when the plant shut down... ended up in civil service at the lowest grade and respect level and was bored after 2 weeks. So I started my own business.

kennyk, Aug 24, 2005
  16. griffo104

technobear Ursine Audiophile

By golly Mr. Birkett. You've hit the nail right on the head :respect:

Especially those last four words. You find a lot of them in IT. I left my job (Senior Analyst Programmer) in 1994 largely because of them and took 9 months off. Then I applied for and got a much better job (with better pay) than the one I had left.

Now I'm at it again. I left my job (Principle Systems Engineer) at the end of July, again due to 'utter toss wad managers', and am now taking a break. I'm spending most of my time doing some long overdue household maintenance. Then I'm gonna take a holiday. In a couple of months time I'll start thinking about what to do next. More than likely I'll stay in IT but if I do it will be as a consultant or contractor this time.

technobear, Aug 24, 2005
  17. griffo104

mr cat Member of the month

I'm looking to move to Nothern Ireland - I've sent my cv out, but there aren't that many IT jobs over there (so, it would seem), I've had some phone calls tho, but they (the agency) want to meet me the next day (which I can't do) and the jobs I've seen involve a pay cut too...

my girlfriend over there says that I should just move over and she'll support me until I find a job...but for me, thats a big risk...catch 22!

mr cat, Aug 24, 2005
  18. griffo104

Philip King Enlightened User

My best mate has just moved over to NI, he is commuting to London for a 2 day working week on contract whilst trying to find an IT job over there. Good time to buy property over there now I hear.

Philip King, Aug 24, 2005
  19. griffo104

griffo104

It's a sad state that quite a few of you feel the same way as me.

Our office is quite depressing to work in at the moment, several friends/colleagues have already been let go due to the India factor.

I finished contracting a little over 5 years ago due to IR35. I intended to sepnd the whole summer chiiling out. After 5 weeks the current job I have dropped in to my lap and I took it. Those 5 weeks were the longest I had been out of work since leaving school - I loved them.

I would like to take a break, chill out and look for something diferent - but want to hang on for redundancy pay.

griffo104, Aug 24, 2005
  20. griffo104

kennyk thecrossovernetwork.com

always wize, but sometimes you can go stir crazy waiting.
    I resigned from one job on the friday only to find that on the monday they were looking for redundancy volunteers.

kennyk, Aug 24, 2005
Ask a Question