Linn Ittok test...please help!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by 21pl, Apr 14, 2009.

1. 21pl

21pl

Hi,

I've been reading about the "swing-test" for the Linn Ittok tonearm (and other Linn arms) - what is that, and how would I go about testing the Ittok I recently bough s/h off eBay, using this method please?

Thanks!!!

21pl, Apr 14, 2009
  2. 21pl

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Essentially it is testing the horizontal bearing by treating the arm like a pendulum. You hold (or securely tape) the arm pillar to a horizontal surface (like a table) with the arm tube hanging over the edge. Then you pull the arm tube back (no bias or counterweight is used - the counterweight is not fitted) and let it go like a pendulum - you count how many swings take place. This gives an idea as to how high the friction levels are. However, it only tells you if the bearings are too tight - not too loose. I can't remember the all important number of swings or the amount you should pull the arm back by though - it’s all in the Linn dealer manual that is online somewhere.

There is a similar test (but using squares of paper) for the vertical bearing).

I've got a copy of said manual somewhere if I can find it.

YNMOAN, Apr 14, 2009
  3. 21pl

21pl

Thanks Ynwoan,

That seems like a rather crude way of testing the bearings though, and as you say, it only gives an indication on the condition of the horizontal bearings.

I remember many moons ago, at a dealer's, he balanced the arm, and gave it just a small sideways nudge - starting point was the outer edge of the platter.
    The arm was the supposed to move horizontally across the whole playing surface of the platter, without any sign of stickiness or the like anywhere.

Thanks again.

21pl, Apr 15, 2009
Ask a Question