Linn LK280 split mono

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by foxymcslick, May 24, 2005.

1. foxymcslick

foxymcslick Linn at heart if not by £

Anyone ever heard of the above amp? :confused: I understand that one starts with a LK280 and separates the channels into two boxes, but how this is done I have no idea. Does it have two transformers? Does it need two power cables? Does it keep the full set of four speaker outputs per box or move two to the second box? Questions questions.

Google no use so far. Nowt on the Linn product histories pages. Suspect it might be a home made concoction, but just wondered if anyone had heard of it.

ta.

foxymcslick, May 24, 2005
  2. foxymcslick

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Maybe it is referring to the 280 with added Spark power supply?

SteveC, May 24, 2005
  3. foxymcslick

lk280/spark

Cheers for the reply, but don't think so. I have an LK280/spark and these boxes are described as being a channel per box, rather like a pair of LK240s, rather than a searated power supply.

4. foxymcslick

SteveC's setup

BTW, just followed the link to your setup on ZeroGain. Man, that is a nice bunch of kit. Fully active Linn front array? Oh, I do think so. :MILD:

5. foxymcslick

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

SteveC, May 24, 2005
  6. foxymcslick

Gordon

Before the Spark came out some dealers would remove one of the mono baords from a 280 and stick it in an new case with a new transformer. By doing so they created mono amps...and they believed that by allowing only one channel to be driven from the single transformer they could achieve better performance. It also allowed them to sell more boxes and make more money from consumers. It was never a real Linn Product.

The Spark was probably developed off the back of this. One of the main culprits was Uxbridge Audio I believe....when I went to work for them though the Spark had been launched so I never saw any.....incidentally if you have a Spark and you look on the bottom and it's signed GMF GMF GMF then that would have been me that built it.....could be a collecters item one day :)

Gordon

Gordon, Jun 6, 2005
Ask a Question