Linn LP12 - Set Up tips

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dreftar, Sep 15, 2006.

1. dreftar

dreftar

I almost purchased one in 1974 and got a mitchel focus one instead and kicked myself ever since. So for my birthday this year, she who must be obeyed has agreed to the purchase of a LP12 from flee bay. I have organised the purchase and it should arrive in a weeks time.
    Its an older LP12, Valhalla, Linn Basik plus, Rega Elys. Various updates to springs and bearings bracing etc.

dreftar, Sep 15, 2006
  2. dreftar

A.N.

if the suspension has sagged, then new springs and grommets, i would change these anyway as a matter of course if they are the originals

if the cart hasnt had that many hours, but has been left standing, chuck it away, the rubber mountings would have rotted/started to, so will have an effect on sound quality, plus decent mc/mm carts arn't that expensive.

check the bearings on the motor and the arm, you will know if they are shagged. if putting a new cart on the linn, NEVER put one on with the arm in situ, always remove, as shagged bearings will be an expensive mistake (read, new arm prolly)

make sure the bearing has oil.

get the t/t dead level, makes a hell of a difference

check the hinges, if the lid doesnt stay up, then you'll need new hinges, but a lid isnt essential anyway

errrrm, i think thats it for now... :D

A.N., Sep 15, 2006
  3. dreftar

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Take it to a Linn dealer.
    Unless you want to spend hours trying to do it yourself and end up
    taking it to a Linn dealer.

Bob McC, Sep 16, 2006
  4. dreftar

dreftar

A little difficult when you live on the Shetland Islands!! - 14 hour ferry ride to Aberdeen!!!. Guess the suspension would need redoing by the time I got the deck back home!

dreftar, Sep 16, 2006
Ask a Question