Little Dot II+ died, trying this alternative:

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Dynamic Turtle, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Dynamic Turtle

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

My LDII+ had an intermittent fault on the left channel so David Pang kindly offered me a refund. It's a very nice sounding amp for £80 and recommend it if you're on a tight budget. It gets very hot and is very microphonic however. David is a nice bloke to deal with, incidentally.

I'm going to make the same mistake twice and buy another unheard of HK design/made amp: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=300022995549&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=020

Spec looks pretty interesting. I guess it's a mini-integrated amp (12wpc) with a pair of headphone outs. I doubt the headphone outs are of decent quality, as they appear to be peripheral to the main design. Still, I only use headphones for functional, rather than audiophile ends, so this isn't of huge concern to me.

Just think it's cute - it uses tubes and it'll be cool to have a second mini-amp in the bedroom (although I doubt it will drive my monitors with much conviction!).

Will let you know how I get on with it, in due course.

DT

That is, assuming the bloody thing actually works.

Dynamic Turtle, Sep 5, 2006
  2. Dynamic Turtle

Anex Thermionic

12wpc isn't a mini amp! If its any good you'll be suprised how far it goes and what a huge difference there is between Watts and overall volume with well matched speakers. Can't see it at work tho ebay is blocked :/

Anex, Sep 5, 2006
  3. Dynamic Turtle

True, but I imagine this amp, given its small transformer & capacitance would keel over & die with loads under 8 ohms.

Time will tell, of course....

DT

eBay blocked but not Zerogain? strange policy that. Have you tried using a stealth browser?

Dynamic Turtle, Sep 5, 2006
  4. Dynamic Turtle

Anex Thermionic

Nah it isn't worth is, I rarely use ebay tbh. Ebay is the only site I've found that is blocked, I guess its cuz people keep looking at it checking their auctions or something.

Anex, Sep 5, 2006
  5. Dynamic Turtle

Tenson Moderator

For £50 it is a stupid bargain! The case would cost that from RS ;) I wonder how it sounds next to a T-amp, which although is a bit cheap looking, it does sound very good.

Tenson, Sep 5, 2006
  6. Dynamic Turtle

Shipping is £75 Tenson, so £125 in all. He has a 1p start, hence the high postage. Appears to be very cheap, but I'm buying blind so it could turn out to be a dog....

Heard lots of positive vibes about the T-amp but can't be arsed with all the modification. Just wanted something triode based that I could plug & play with.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Sep 6, 2006
  7. Dynamic Turtle

Well, it looks like my gamble didn't pay off. The source selector knob has come loose from the chassis already. Need to take a glue-gun or superglue to it!

Hooked it up to my Sonus fabers for a laugh, and it drives them very convincingly on the 8 ohm tap.

Still, at the end of the day, it's too large and generates too much heat for my little bedroom. Along with a projector, xbox & triode amplifier all going at the same time, the room is even more like a sauna.

Will be selling it off shortly and buying something dinky like a project headbox instead.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Oct 2, 2006
Ask a Question