Live: Deep Purple, Peter Frampton & Thunder

Discussion in 'General Music' started by HenryT, May 16, 2004.

1. HenryT

HenryT

HenryT, May 16, 2004
  2. HenryT

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Yeah, that looks like a good tour, just a shame it's on in Plymouth the same night as Motorhead at the uni in Exeter. Bad planning there as I'm sure there's many that would've gone to both.

ilockyer, May 17, 2004
  3. HenryT

Graham C

Cheers for the heads up on that. I like the way classic bands are doing mini fests to pool costs etc. Of course it must be easier to organise than some pop-tastic kak, since these are real musicians, and therefore versatile and flexible. Sadly, I'll skip them. I've seen all of them before [some twice] and they are all stunning, but I feel I've seen all the live rock bands I need, and nowadays I just can't be arsed..though I do enjoy trying to do the live thing in my house, where I have the volume control. I would definitely recommend any of those bands to hear. I see they also have the 2 greatest rock singers of all - Paul Rodgers [Bad Co] and Danny Bowes [Thunder]

Graham C, May 17, 2004
  4. HenryT

Saab

who are in the Purple line up?

ps i am going to see UFO soon

Saab, May 18, 2004
  5. HenryT

HenryT

Doh! :rolleyes: Mind you, they've got a date in London the Saturday before, so could still see both. :)

Heard it mentioned on Planet Rock... and yep lots of the old time rockers still touring although I'd imagine a lot of them have had already played their best gig years ago, and now just cashing in on a name.

From what I can tell, it'll be the current line up who recorded together for the last studio album which they're touring "Bananas" (not heard it yet):-

Ian Gillan - Vocals
    Ian Paice - Drums
    Steve Morse - Guitar
    Roger Glover - Bass
    Don Airey - Keyboards

HenryT, May 18, 2004
  6. HenryT

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Sounds like quite a good idea to me! Probably also going to go and see Saxon again on October 2 at the Astoria as they were excellent last time and I think it's still less than £15 a ticket, an absolute bargain!

ilockyer, May 18, 2004
  7. HenryT

Saab

Saxon,blimey,name from the past,i saw them in 81!!

Saab, May 18, 2004
  8. HenryT

Graham C

Actually, most I've seen just get better. After all, it is just a show, and they have more material to choose from, and more experience of playing it. PA is now of a common standard, so vocalists can hear themselves etc. I think they are also less pressured and are doing it more for fun, with no nerves. Also, most have lost their 'bad habits' with old age.
    Try Jethro Tull or Wishbone Ash to see 70s bands at their live peak [even the Stones?]

Graham C, May 19, 2004
  9. HenryT

badchamp Thermionic Member

:eek: :eek: :yikes: :yikes: :eek: :eek:

Can't be many of the original Wishabone Ash left !

There were precious few left when I saw them last at Brunel Uni and that was about 15 years ago

badchamp, May 19, 2004
  10. HenryT

Saab

I think some bands will undoubtedly cash in on the old name,if they are skint.UFO had to buy the name of Schenker,which is no loss,they ahve been crap for years clinging onto that drunken headcase (although a bloody great guitarist).And their last lp has been one of their best ever,and the European gigs have been going down a storm (they have Jason Bonham in the line up)

ACDC are still worth a punt,and i would pay to see Ian Anderson any day of the week,the mans a genius imo

as for Saxon,well,unless they play 747 12 times in a row i think i will give it a miss:)

and if Page and Plant ever decide to get together with JPJ and Jason Bonham i will join the queue

Saab, May 19, 2004
  11. HenryT

Graham C

1 by the look of it:

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/4-4-2004-52522.asp

Still, thats the same number as Tull[?] and Deep Purple!

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2004
    Graham C, May 19, 2004
Ask a Question