Living Voice Avatar2s

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lAmBoY, Jan 26, 2005.

1. lAmBoY

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Anyone owned/heard these? Any comments?

Just interested thats all. cheers //lamboy

lAmBoY, Jan 26, 2005
  2. lAmBoY

ListeningEar

Living Voice for what I have seen have definitely been working hard on the marketing, they are very well represented at audio shows both here in the UK and over in the USA (T.H.E. Show, Las Vegas).

I think it's 'Definitive Audio' here in the UK that pushes them very hard, I witnessed their reference system with the top of the line OBX's and the magnificent VPi TNT turntable as front end.

I have also listened to their speakers at varying price ranges in different systems and they seem to do quite well what most people are looking for, but I think that the whole 'high sensitivity' aspect is pushed a bit too hard!

Definitely one to listen to but there are better speakers out there for the same money. Personally I find all the LV speakers too dry lacking reality, and therefore too coloured for my liking.

ListeningEar, Jan 27, 2005
  3. lAmBoY

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Lamoy.

I owned Avatar's for several years.

They are very dynamic, and you can get the same kind of room filling noise with a 10w amplifier out of them as you can get with 500w with an 86db design. It isnt just that they are an easy load. The light bass cones with large magnets have an immediacy and palpability that is lacking in many other modern speakers.

The tweeter used on Avatars is rarely found in other speakers of the price - there is a 4.5k Proac which has the same unit, but really its not a unit you find in sub 2k speakers IME.

If you have room to get them far away from sidewalls ( 3 feet is good) and away from the back wall (they are rear ported) they are capable of a very out of cabinet experience.

New at 2,700 they are quite a lot, but there isnt much out there that does the same thing. Used at 1,500 - 2,000 they are excellent value for money.

High sensitivity ISNT stated highly enough in my opinion. One of the reasons you see Living Voices so much at shows is because high sensitivity means that you get the most out of moderately powered amplifiers. Moderately powered amplifiers are what most of us have, and at shows its what most exhibitors want to show.

I imagine if you are trying to represent an alternative brand at shows - say for example 'Von Schweikert' a little proffessional jealousy might creep in when the success of Living Voice is so apparent! ;)

bottleneck, Jan 28, 2005
  4. lAmBoY

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

thanks guys, how about the bass end of the equation? i assume (probably incorrectly) that they are a little bass shy, would pushing them with a higher powered amp help solve this? Or would this approach defeat the object of these spkrs?

lAmBoY, Jan 28, 2005
  5. lAmBoY

Hi,

They go as low as most modern speakers. They have 2 x mid/bass drivers per cabinet, and the bass comes with high impact factor so its always impressive.

I like dance music and reggae amongst other music, and its plenty deep enough for that.

A more powerful amp wont give it more bass IMO. You could run a sub with it, but it would have to be a damn quick one to keep up. A 12" velodyne like Robbos would be a good bet.

I honestly dont think you'll feel the need though.

bottleneck, Jan 28, 2005
  6. lAmBoY

ListeningEar

lol, nice one! Although when I was in the business we honestly felt that the LV's were seriously lacking in respect to all their hype, jealousy didn't come into it at all.

Just goes to show, we all have different tastes and demands.

Enjoy your LV's and above all your music. :D

ListeningEar, Jan 29, 2005
  7. lAmBoY

CHeers!

Nice to see you saw the funny side :)

I dont have living voices, although I had them for years. They are one of the better choices out there if you're into low powered amps.

There's quite a few people on here who really like their Von Schweikert (cant spell sorry), so Im sure they are great standmounts too.

bottleneck, Jan 30, 2005
  8. lAmBoY

Saab

Indeed we do:)

Saab, Jan 30, 2005
  9. lAmBoY

badchamp Thermionic Member

Most verily. :) :)

Mind you, great speakers but they make the most of my crap room :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2005
    badchamp, Jan 30, 2005
  10. lAmBoY

Paul V

We've got a pair of the OBXs - can't comment on the Avatar - but ours sound great, with more than sufficient bass. They are very quick and most dynamic. Try to listen to a pair - Definitive Audio is a great place to go, but Kevin WILL convince you need a pair in your life.

Paul

Paul V, Feb 3, 2005
  11. lAmBoY

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Doesn't have to work hard then does he :D I've loved the OBX's every time I've heard them. Too expensive for me though :(

technobear, Feb 3, 2005
  12. lAmBoY

Paul V

I must admit, we didn't take a lot of convincing. Especially in ebony. Yum.

PV

Paul V, Feb 3, 2005
  13. lAmBoY

ListeningEar

...not just monitors (standmounts), but the whole range. Can easily set you up with a dem of the entry level floor-standers, VR-2's as a friend of mine in Bedfordshire bought one of the very first pairs into the UK. But, once you hear the VR-2's I think you will want to forget Living Voice,...come to think of it, other customers who own VR-2's tested LV's, ProAc's, B&W, JM Lab, all the well known makes in this price range and opted for the VR-2's.

Plus you can always contact 'audioplay' in London. Simon Phipps there has VR-1's, VR-2's and VR-4 HSE's I believe at the moment, he is also a LAMM (or is it) Lumley dealer too (think he uses Wadia for his front-end).

He also has the Verbatim cables handmade by one fo the Von Schweikert management, these are THE best cables I have ever heard,...period!

I am only pushing this speaker because I believe in the product and think it deserves better marketing here in the UK,...we'll have to see what the new UK distribution does with it.

ListeningEar, Feb 3, 2005
  14. lAmBoY

Thanks LE, but I sold the Living Voices I used to have about 6 months or so ago.

Im getting something made that will be more what Im looking for.

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Feb 3, 2005
Ask a Question