Lo-fi: cassette tape burn to CD?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by flash, Nov 11, 2005.

1. flash

flash Two ears: two channels

A while since I've been on the forum and just recovering from wetting myself at the banana thread started by Tones - some fine contributions... :)

If I can transfer my wife's single favourite Christmas tape, no longer available on tape or any other format (which says so much...) to CD then I can get rid of the cassette player which is an emabarrassing addition to any self-respecting audiophile's set-up. Won't get rid of the embarrassment of the music itself but hey one step at a time.

There appear to be a number of people out there in web-land offering to transfer analogue stuff to digital format and for a one-off this is probably the right route, but I'd appreciate any feedback from other who have either used such a service or taken a "line out" from their amp to their PC, and used a bit of freeware or whatever to do the same job.

Thanks,

Nigel

flash, Nov 11, 2005
  2. flash

technobear Ursine Audiophile

You don't need an amp. You can connect the cassette deck straight to the line-in on the computer.
    Windows has a built-in recorder which can do the job at a pinch.

When I did this, I used Creative Wave Studio which came with my soundcard. This let me record the cassette, split it into tracks and save them separately. As some of them were recordings of LPs, I also used it to edit out some of the snap, crackle and pop so popular with the vinyl user community ;)

technobear, Nov 11, 2005
  3. flash

Rory satisfied

or just connect a cassette deck to a hifi separate cd recorder.

Rory, Nov 11, 2005
Ask a Question