loading speakers?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by matthew2456, Dec 27, 2003.

1. matthew2456

matthew2456

i have some tannoy mx3 m speakers and was thinking about loading them with soem kiln dried sand, does anyone see a problem with me taking the crossover off and filling it from here?i would fill it into a bag and not directly into the speaker so that is could be taken out again if needed,
    thx
    matthew

matthew2456, Dec 27, 2003
  2. matthew2456

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I can't see a problem with it myself, if the connections are soldered be sure you are condifdent to resolder them. Also buy some more expensive solder such as silver stuff. It may be an idea to replace the internal wiring with what ever you are using to the connect then to your amp too.

amazingtrade, Dec 27, 2003
  3. matthew2456

matthew2456

i will be buying some QED silver stuff, but not quite yet, im going to florida in feb and have spend all my savings on my hifi :( how much is silver solder?
    thx
    matthew

4. matthew2456

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

There's no problem with taking the crossover off and having it outboard if you prefer.

The mx3 m has an isolated lower chamber and it is only this chamber that can be filled with sand bags. Is this where the crossover is?

7_V, Dec 27, 2003
  5. matthew2456

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Silver solder is pretty chreap. I am not sure exactly how much it costs but its well under £5 for the amount you will need.

amazingtrade, Dec 27, 2003
  6. matthew2456

matthew2456

is silver solder jus like normal solder but with solder in it?
    i will more than likely do this after the new year then, i just need to get the little funny shaped screw driver or find another one which will fit.
    matthew

7. matthew2456

Lt Cdr Data om

solder in it? don't you mean silver in it?

solder is usually 60/40 tin lead or the other, not sure which, silver means it is a few percent, maybe 1% or 4% again can't remember. they do vary in proportions to acheive a certain effect.

You can get some all tin, with a bit of silver from radio shack in a tube which melts superbly. a few pounds. russ andrews wonder solder is probably the same, and he will rob you soft for it. Try maplin, too.

you should not need to take the xover out to put sand it, if the chamber is below. Just open the hatch, and pour in, I don't think the hole is wide enuff for a bag.

If you do take the xover out, make sure you know the wires and mark them, otherwise something nasty may happen to the tweeter.

edited to add: oh I see you wish to load from the xover terminals....the thing about a sand chamber is it may well be separate from the place where the drive units are, ie a solid 'room' if you like, enclosed. Putting a bag in the bass chamber itself will reduce the volume of your box, and actually raise boominess as a result.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2003
    Lt Cdr Data, Dec 27, 2003
Ask a Question