Local Libraries- Does anybody use one ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sid and Coke, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Sid and Coke

Sid and Coke

I think that i have 2 or 3 Local Libraries reasonably nearby. I have never actually used them though. Is it possible to get a library to get a specific book in for you to read, or are you limited to the books they have on the shelves ? The book I'm interested in is :

Principles of Avionics
    by Albert Helfrick; 3rd edition - February 2004

Unfortunately it seems to be about £70+ to buy a copy and I can't quite afford to shell that out at the moment on a book, well i can , but there are other more important things I need to spend the cash on .

Sid and Coke, Nov 8, 2004
  2. Sid and Coke

cookiemonster

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2004
    cookiemonster, Nov 8, 2004
  3. Sid and Coke

sideshowbob Trisha

My excellent local library was turned into an extremely expensive gourmet Indian restaurant a couple of years ago (The Cinnamon Club, very good it is too). Which tells you something about the world.

Most local libraries will be able to order in a book if there's a copy anywhere in the library network, very few nowadays have the money to buy expensive books that aren't likely to be popular. Well worth asking them.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 8, 2004
  4. Sid and Coke

cookiemonster

5. Sid and Coke

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

I get 4 books out every 2/3 weeks from my "local" library..
    To tell the truth, wot with our new gas-guzzling motor, it would almost be cheaper to buy them.

leonard smalls, Nov 8, 2004
  6. Sid and Coke

rodrat

We use our local village library on and off. They charge 50p to get in a book. However, it has to be within the stock of the county and you only get two instead of three weeks. The only downside is that we forget to take them back and end up paying fines. They also rent dvd's which you can have for a week and are cheaper than the rental stores. The main library also rents out music cd's. I am surprised at this as I suspect there is a lot of copying going on. (not by me as I can't be arsed to drive 25 miles)

Rod

rodrat, Nov 8, 2004
  7. Sid and Coke

Philip King Enlightened User

The Cinnamon Club was a library, wow never gonna seem the same again, although it makes sense of the walkway upstairs.

Back on topic my local Swedish library has an excellent selection of classical and jazz Cd's, just perfect for ripping to MP3, playing on the way to work and then buying if I like the album.

Philip King, Nov 8, 2004
  8. Sid and Coke

Bob McC living the life of Riley

My local library has never failed yet to get some pretty obscure titles for me and the missus. They do charge and it can take an age. We all have a responsibility to use our libraries, one of the remaining vestiges of a more enlightened era when literacy and education were pursued as worthy ends in themselves.

Bob

Bob McC, Nov 8, 2004
  9. Sid and Coke

andrew1810

Mine does cheap DVD and CD rental so I visit every now and again, very rarely get books out though!!

I have ordered one in a while ago and it didn't take too long, if there is a copy anywhere in the area they can simply call it in from there.

If you can get into a local Uni library, there might be a copy in there!!

Andrew

andrew1810, Nov 8, 2004
  10. Sid and Coke

analoguekid Planet Rush

I get all my novels from the library, I'm not the kind that buys books and reads over and over again, so once read it's read, library saves a fortune in that respect.

analoguekid, Nov 9, 2004
  11. Sid and Coke

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Local libraries are a great resource, I've found them often to be much more helpful and willing to look for/order things than a main library. With the declining standard of public bus services, more people are likely to end up reliant on them due to not being able to travel as easily if they haven't got a car. We're quite lucky in Exeter, having both a main library in the centre and several local libraries. However, the one nearest to our place is in danger of closing. The main central library is about a 30 minute walk/15 minute bus journey away, so not too far. For the elderly though, it's really useful, especially as they've cut the bus services by 50% recently, in the same week as a 25% hike in the price of a day bus ticket. The local library is currently located within the buildings of the local middle school, but as part of a planned re-development of the schools in Exeter, that's being bulldozed and new plans show no room for the library. Who'd have thought that a library might be a useful resource within an educational establishment?

ilockyer, Nov 9, 2004
  12. Sid and Coke

Philip King Enlightened User

You either walk fast or thats some one way system :D

Philip King, Nov 10, 2004
Ask a Question