Long Shot maybe...... cheap preamp

Wanted: Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by shrink, Jul 18, 2007.

1. shrink

shrink

im wondering what are the odds of getting a decent and fairly transparent preamp on the cheap?

Ive just been loaned a set of new audiolab monoblocks but sadly the integrated i was using seems to have an issue with its pre-outs, just generates a HUGE buzz as soon as i connect anything to them.

SO looking for some kind of preamp thats as transparent as possible and fairly neutral, doesnt need to be fancy, just decent sounding.

anyone got anything, or any ideas?

shrink, Jul 18, 2007
  2. shrink

jaspal kallar

Hi Shrink,

Would this be a temporary solution?
    What about a passive preamp?

Perhaps take a look at http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4c5pt/id2.html

The are supposed to be transparent and neutral plus at least in the USA their resell value is good. I didn't get them but went instead for a passive pre instead. Oh they are quite cheap even with the import duty. I reckon the total cost would be around £100.

jaspal.

jaspal kallar, Jul 18, 2007
  3. shrink

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Shrink - I've got an old but totally healthy Cyrus pre-amp, boxed with remote control and instructions. Its got tons of features, even got balanced in and out if you need. Its very transparent, better IMO than more recent Cyrus gear.

Yours for £120. I'm in Edinburgh, I think we met at Ditton's once.

I've also got an NVA passive pre-amp, like the one in thread above, yours for £50 but frankly I don't think it will do the audiolabs much favour. The old Audiolab amps were very low sensitivity on the input which is not too good with passives.

alanbeeb, Jul 18, 2007
  4. shrink

shrink

interesting.... but balancing dual volume pots would drive me nuts i think... it is a novel idea though.

shrink, Jul 18, 2007
  5. shrink

shrink

yeah alan we met at peters once, i think you had your tact over at the time... ive sent you a PM

shrink, Jul 18, 2007
  6. shrink

shrink

all sorted now folks... and in a way i didnt even think possible :)

good stuff.

thanks

shrink, Jul 18, 2007
Ask a Question