Look the same to me

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by wolfgang, Aug 12, 2003.

1. wolfgang

wolfgang

Physically two RCA-RCA analog interconnect and digital interconnect look the same? Does the engineering type knows what is the difference between these two cable?

wolfgang, Aug 12, 2003
  2. wolfgang

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Wolfgand, alledgely Impedence :eek: A single ended Digital RCA should be 75 ohms, as is a lot of TV coax ;) but also the the sockets must be the same too, if a correct coralation is to be achieved, now not all rca/bnc sockets are 75 ohm :rolleyes: but does this matter, will be debated to eternity :SLEEP:
    Also fully balanced XLR cables are 110 ohm, but will only give their best in used in a 'true balanced' circuit design.
    Now some of the best cables I've listened to, arn't 75 ohm :rolleyes: but digital cables can and do have a serious say in your system's preformance. I am some what tainted here as I have a vested interest in cables.
    But, having preformed a lot of reaserch in this area, I'm confident enough to say, virtualy every analogue cable we've tried as a digital subistute, hasn't made the grade, but however you may like the sound it gives. WM

wadia-miester, Aug 12, 2003
  3. wolfgang

zanash

I agree, I have a number of so called 75ohm Digital IC's that sound far worse than a simple twisted pair of silver plated copper in a ptfe jacket. I feel that this is another area of hype, and you can make significant improvements using alternatives that do not need to break the bank.

I've not heard WM offerings so can't comment, but the experiments I've done show that even cheap CDT and DAC can be provoked into a more musical response with "better not nessesarily more expensive " digital IC's. My last design is on the DIY section under DUCK ! It relatively cheap and effective.

To reduce the lack of 75ohm connection fit a pulse transformer as close to the DAC input as you can. This also makes a very cost effective upgrade, hence the Isotrans also in the DIY section.

zanash, Aug 13, 2003
  4. wolfgang

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Zanash, I wasn't actually making a comparsion to Omiga Audio cables :)(would be unfair to do so) There are some top notch cables out, that really are some thing else, (as well as our own ;) ).
    Best cable (Digital) I've heard has an impedence of 98 ohms :eek: rather odd, but true. WM

wadia-miester, Aug 13, 2003
  5. wolfgang

zanash

No, I read my comment and thats not really what I meant to say !

zanash, Aug 13, 2003
  6. wolfgang

wolfgang

thanks for the explaination guys.

found this link http://www.epanorama.net/documents/wiring/cable_impedance.html

that is the limit to my understanding. guess i will not make one myself.

any digital cable you know have the correct 75 ohms impedance?the one i have now is by Ecosse Reference Producer cable.

wolfgang, Aug 16, 2003
Ask a Question