Looking For a Digital Coaxial and have ££ ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Deaf Cat, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Deaf Cat

murray johnson

Help yourself Andy. Its just Wiki.

murray johnson, Sep 28, 2007
  2. Deaf Cat

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Paul perhaps pay a visit to Mike's and have a listen to his new set-up, then report back .

Purite Audio, Sep 28, 2007
  3. Deaf Cat

Paul Ranson

How does it compare to his old setup?

Paul

Paul Ranson, Sep 28, 2007
  4. Deaf Cat

Paul Ranson

Do you have access to more of the actual data? And how it was obtained? The summary printed in that review was unsatisfactory, what looked like a faulty speaker and no graphs to show what and where. I'm happy not to pay too much attention to KK's hyperbole, it's a shame they didn't give Keith more of the space.
    Pretty much every review or commentary published in the last 50 years about Quad electrostatics can be précised as 'fantastic midrange but...'. I think your opinion is prima facie minority, since there appear to be no others who share it.

Paul

5. Deaf Cat

Stereo Mic

Keith,

Paul is the odd one out - the one who didn't like the old setup. He likes Isobariks,Quads and drives a racing car. I think his reference is Bub's system - others who have heard them disagree. I very much doubt he would like the current setup unless he was oblivious to it's components. It's a funny old hobby - all you can do is know your own mind and ears, stay focussed and not worry about others opinions.

The only annoyance I guess is when others claim something about a product that clearly isn't true simply through technical ignorance. There's a lot of those about!

Stereo Mic, Sep 28, 2007
  6. Deaf Cat

I just feel that if he heard something so much better he would have to reassess his opinion of the Quad.

7. Deaf Cat

Paul Ranson

Am I the only one who heard the JBLs disintegrate into 6 separate drivers? It is clearly a room and listening distance thing rather than a characteristic of the speakers. Bub has a much bigger room, and his system as was, was much better as a system. Maybe he's wrecked it with SMEs, phono stages and tweeter upgrades...

Perhaps Keith and Mike need to take a trip up North?

Paul

8. Deaf Cat

Oh, that is an awfully long way to hear some ATC's

9. Deaf Cat

Stereo Mic

Yep - I believe you are. Maybe it was a visual thing for you Paul - I don't know. But definately in the minority of one there to my knowledge.

I've owned ATC's and to be honest, reports from others who've heard it say it's good but not that good, and not up to what we listen to. So it just shows how subjective the whole thing is I guess.

Maybe I should stick my speakers 6 feet in the air and listen wildly off axis :D

Stereo Mic, Sep 28, 2007
  10. Deaf Cat

Paul Ranson

No interest in the record collection?

Paul

11. Deaf Cat

Paul Ranson

Golden ears then.

Have you rearranged the room at all? It just needed another foot or so to be comfortable.

Paul

12. Deaf Cat

Stereo Mic

I rather doubt it's as interesting and varied as Ian's Paul - he's got Eryka Badu FFS. (and he thinks it's got deep bass!)

Stereo Mic, Sep 28, 2007
  13. Deaf Cat

Stereo Mic

No. I prefer to listen in the near field and hear the recording in all it's glory. A matter of taste I guess. A Japanese thing - big speakers small room.

Stereo Mic, Sep 28, 2007
  14. Deaf Cat

Paul Ranson

Erykah does have deep bass by any standards except entertaining organists. Somewhere below 30Hz.

I'm sure Ian has more free jazz, whether that counts as interesting is a matter of taste. My record collection is obviously first class since it contains first pressings of both Sergeant Pepper and Revolver...

Paul

15. Deaf Cat

Paul Ranson

Except you don't get stereo and the mid and treble are all spatially distinct. Which isn't usually what the producer intended.

Most definitely.

Paul

16. Deaf Cat

Stereo Mic

Only to you Paul. I get the stereo that was recorded - not what is added by the room. Fortunately experience has taught me the difference.

As I say, if you like listening to speakers six feet in the air with mid and treble rolled off at the angles you listen at, then neutrality might come as something of a shock!

I sometimes wonder about a larger room, but I'm pretty confident I would still want to listen 9ft away from the speakers - I have always preferred that setup - and do not like the diffused sound of the room obscuring the recording.

Stereo Mic, Sep 28, 2007
  17. Deaf Cat

Paul Ranson

9 feet should be enough. It's about what I have. It seems rather more than you had with the old JBLs.

BTW I've no preference for speakers in the sky without tweeters.

Paul

18. Deaf Cat

Stereo Mic

I listen 9ft - 10ft away - maybe you just remember the size of the things.

If you come over again at some point I'll show you what each drive unit contributes to the sound. You will be surprised. It kind of puts the "hearing seperate drive units" sensation into context - it's purely psycholgical in most cases.

Stereo Mic, Sep 29, 2007
  19. Deaf Cat

Paul Ranson

I'd like to come over again.

I've had discrete active systems in the past, so I know what the bits sound like. Only a fool turns the bass on first...

The problem only arose when I leaned forward to get my head out of the boomy bit by the wall. So I'm pretty sure it was real. It would be interesting to hear those big JBLs in an alternative setup, should you ever come across another pair.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Sep 29, 2007
  20. Deaf Cat

dreftar

"Quads an amusing eccentricity"
    and I thought they were loudspeakers; guess my LP12 and vinyl and FM Radio 3 is also an amusing eccentricity. Perhaps HiFi is also an amusing eccentricity.Perhaps I as just amusingly eccentric! And is the pursuit of a cable to carry a digital pulse code modulated signal accurately just an other eccentricity - I like being eccentric!!!

dreftar, Sep 29, 2007
Ask a Question